General accolades, site requests and some suggestions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
sqelch7

General accolades, site requests and some suggestions

Unread post by sqelch7 » 2014-06-15, 21:06

I am 98% satisfied and pleased w/ PM performance on XP, Win7 and Ubu. But this is mostly a WEB site clarity suggestion. Be sure and include more download page notes showing version number available for all platforms so we now what we have and how we stand. The update 24.6.1 notifications and procedure went perfectly across Windows systems.

Please make available a non-tar.bz uncompressed version of the Linux installer. Uncompressing seems to crash for some reason. How about a permanent linux update utility that we can keep on desktop or as an extension? Synaptic w/ a Y/N version checker?

Please have contributing authors/groups make version notations on PM site and SF site. I have 24.4.2 on Ubu12.o4LTS but I'm not sure what is the latest version or where to get it. Notes on non-automatic overwrite update from zip compressed version are confusing to noobs.

Your notes on Atom version seem to indicate it only runs on windows. I have an Atom netbook w/ Linux. Will there be a version for that? My admittedly rudimentary attempts to install PM on Linux Atom netbook have failed.

Please put an e-mail subscribe to announcements button on PM home page header. Yes, old Fashioned E-mail please. I'll just watch for announcements. Much thanks.

access2godzilla

Re: General accolades, site requests and some suggestions

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-16, 06:34

sqelch7 wrote:Please make available a non-tar.bz uncompressed version of the Linux installer.
I'm not sure if that'd be the right way to go: if a non-compressed installer is provided, then every Linux distro will treat the installer as a text file and try to open it in the text editor (like gedit). I'm aware that Ubuntu opens it in gedit anyway, but this is actually the fault of the Nautilus file manager on Ubuntu (see here).
sqelch7 wrote:I'm not sure what is the latest version or where to get it
This functionality is already available in the installer (note the "update PM" option). Also, as far as Install Pale Moon > Select version is concerned, you can select the drop-down and use "Latest version". See this video to get a clearer idea.
sqelch7 wrote:How about a permanent linux update utility that we can keep on desktop?
Please tell me if this works for you: Grab this file:
palemoon_installer.txt
(348 Bytes) Downloaded 48 times
and save it to the desktop, and rename the extension from '.txt' to '.desktop'. Now double click on the file.
(The forum doesn't let me upload a file with the '.desktop' extension.)
sqelch7 wrote:I have an Atom netbook w/ Linux. Will there be a version for that?
The present developer, cyansmoker, does not have atom devices to test an atom version, so probably not.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-06-16, 08:48

It would be helpful if you could explain in a bit more detail what happened when you tried to install on which (exactly) linux distro and version version (Ubuntu 14.04 x64, I suppose). Some things, like the not installing on double click are easy to fix or workaround.

And how did you try to open/unpack the tar.bz? Unpacking a tar should not crash in linux cause it is one of the most common archive types.

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2014-06-17, 00:50

access2godzilla wrote:Please tell me if this works for you: Grab this file:
palemoon_installer.txt
and save it to the desktop, and rename the extension from '.txt' to '.desktop'. Now double click on the file.
(The forum doesn't let me upload a file with the '.desktop' extension.)
I'm running Linux Mint 17 MATE 64-bit.

Downloaded (Save link as...) 'palemoon_installer.txt' to the Desktop and renamed to: 'palemoon_installer.desktop'. I found that unless I do a:

Code: Select all

chmod +x palemoon_installer.desktop
I'd get a 'Launch'/'Trust' popup prompt. After doing: 'chmod +x palemoon_installer.desktop' and double clicking, I get an popup error complaining 'xterm' cannot be found.

'xterm' is not installed by default in LM17 MATE...

Once I did a:

sudo apt-get install xterm
Double clicking on 'palemoon_installer.desktop' opened an 'xterm' window, ran the contained 'Exec=' commands, and after a short delay, the 'Pale Moon Installer' gui window appeared with options as expected.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-17, 05:45

Oh, Ubuntu also requires a chmod +x for .desktop files ... very difficult to make anything easy for the user on Ubuntu :(
"xterm not found" is a bug in LM/Ubuntu, they should use x-terminal-emulator instead of hardcoding it to xterm.

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2014-06-17, 14:35

access2godzilla wrote:Oh, Ubuntu also requires a chmod +x for .desktop files ... very difficult to make anything easy for the user on Ubuntu :(
This seems to be true _only_ if a 'regular user' is doing the launching. For instance (in LM and U...) none of the *.desktop files in:

/usr/share/applications/
are marked 'execute', all are simply '-rw-r--r--'. _And_. Even in the user's '~/.local/share/applications/' directory (again in LM and U...) you will find some *.desktop files marked executable, others _NOT_. All seem to work just fine.
access2godzilla wrote:"xterm not found" is a bug in LM/Ubuntu, they should use x-terminal-emulator instead of hardcoding it to xterm.
Yes. I've notice this issue in Linux Mint since at least LM13.

Edit to add...
As an experiment I _REMOVED_ the executable bits from access2godzilla's file that I downloaded. I then moved the 'palemoon_installer.desktop' file from my 'Desktop' to my

~/.local/share/applications/
directory.

My slightly modified file's contents look like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Pale Moon Installer
Comment=Install/update/uninstall Pale Moon
Exec=bash -c "tmp_pmi=$(mktemp -d /tmp/pmi.XXXXXX); cd $tmp_pmi; wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/latest/download -O data.tar.bz2; tar -xf data.tar.bz2; ./pminstaller.sh; rm -rf $tmp_pmi"
Terminal=true
Type=Application
Icon=palemoon
Categories=Network;
Note the 'Icon=' change _and_ the addition line 'Categories=Network;'.

Now I can click through in LM17 MATE's 'Menu|All application|Internet' to the 'Pale Moon Installer' entry. When clicked, the 'Pale Moon Installer' window opens with options... As expected.

FWIW and YMMV?

sqelch7

PROBLEM SOLVED: General accolades, some suggestions

Unread post by sqelch7 » 2014-06-24, 13:36

Thanks for all the response, input on update-install PM Ubuntu. FYI version 12.04LTS. I downloaded the installer again and carefully followed all the steps in video tutorials and chose "update pale moon". This successfully installed 24.6.2 (overwriting24.2) in situ. All the correct windows came up and the process went smoothly. All add-ons were compatible and all seems normal and functional - thanks