Pale Moon for Atom build for Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
raen_01

Pale Moon for Atom build for Linux

Unread post by raen_01 » 2014-06-11, 16:51

Are there any plans of making a build for Linux of the Pale Moon version optimized for Atom CPUs?

I have a Samsung NB30 netbook with an Intel Atom N450 @1,66 GHz, running a dual boot of Win7 + Linux Mint 17. I installed Win7 on it mainly because of the drivers and to mirror my settings and preferred apps on my main Win7 machine.

But, Linux Mint recognizes and installs drivers for all netbook components/devices and they seem to be all very compatible (even the mobile 3G broadband adapter), the netbook runs way faster and has better power/battery management with Linux Mint than with Win7, and lately I migrated my preferred Windows apps to better alternatives that also have Linux builds (ditched uTorrent for Deluge, Winamp partially for Clementine, Firefox for Pale Moon, etc). I no longer feel the need of having Win7 installed on this netbook, for the previous reasons and I really feel that I enjoy a lot more using it with Linux Mint.

The only thing that I feel that's missing is a Linux port/build of the Pale Moon version optimized for Atom CPUs, even though there is a Linux build of the standard Pale Moon version, as it should adapt better to the speed that the Atom offers.

Firefox and the standard Pale Moon version are somewhat slow on this CPU, be it on Linux or Win7, and I don't to keep Win7 installed just for the Pale Moon version optimized for Atom CPUs.

I know that there shouldn't be a high user base interested on having it ported, but currently both 32-bit and 64-bit builds are ported to Linux, so why not having the Atom optimized build ported over also?
Last edited by raen_01 on 2014-06-11, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

access2godzilla

Re: Pale Moon for Atom build for Linux

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-11, 17:28

I can't speak for cyansmoker, and this depends upon him, but:
raen_01 wrote:currently both 32-bit and 64-bit builds are ported to Linux, so why not[...]?
Linux always has had 64-bit builds of everything; it is not done for parity with Windows builds. Not to mention that you can't even run a i386 ELF on x86_64 on most distros. (I know about ia32-libs, but that's just a compatibility hack, nothing more).

raen_01

Unread post by raen_01 » 2014-06-11, 23:47

I was not referring specifically to the 32-bit and 64-bit builds of Pale Moon, but just to the fact that the standard version(s) have a linux build and the version optimized for Atom CPUs doesn't. I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe you got the wrong idea there because of me :)

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-12, 06:25

I really don't know if cyansmoker is interested in making 32, 64, 32atom and 64atom builds. Meanwhile, please run this on your system and post the output:

Code: Select all

gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1
No problems with your english though :)

cyansmoker

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-06-12, 07:29

Well, I believe that gcc offers atom-specific values for -march and -mtune but what worries me is simply that I do not have any device to test builds on.

Also, I do not really know how much speed would be gained using these flags and, again, not having a device to confirm, it's a bit challenging.

raen_01

Unread post by raen_01 » 2014-06-13, 00:13

access2godzilla wrote:I really don't know if cyansmoker is interested in making 32, 64, 32atom and 64atom builds.
You just led me to discover that Intel 64 existed, I thought that Atoms were only 32-bit capable. Building a 64-bit version of Pale Moon for Atom would be a feat, as for Windows is currently 32-bit only (even though my Atom is a 32-bit one, I think).
access2godzilla wrote:Meanwhile, please run this on your system and post the output:

gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1
That returned:

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.8/cc1 -E -quiet -v -imultiarch i386-linux-gnu - -march=atom -mcx16 -msahf -mmovbe -mno-aes -mno-pclmul -mno-popcnt -mno-abm -mno-lwp -mno-fma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mno-bmi -mno-bmi2 -mno-tbm -mno-avx -mno-avx2 -mno-sse4.2 -mno-sse4.1 -mno-lzcnt -mno-rtm -mno-hle -mno-rdrnd -mno-f16c -mno-fsgsbase -mno-rdseed -mno-prfchw -mno-adx -mfxsr -mno-xsave -mno-xsaveopt --param l1-cache-size=24 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=512 -mtune=atom -fstack-protector -Wformat -Wformat-security