Private flag appears to be non-functioning

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
halosghost

Private flag appears to be non-functioning

Unread post by halosghost » 2014-05-24, 16:01

Running the latest release:

Code: Select all

pacman -Qi palemoon                                                                                                                                                                                                                ^_^  
Name           : palemoon
Version        : 24.5.0-2
Attempting to run palemoon with the -private flag has no affect. There is no error output, but the window that opens is not in private browsing mode. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? (This is an x64 Arch Linux system).

Any help or guidance anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

All the best,

-HG

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Private flag appears to be non-functioning

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-05-24, 18:36

Are you referring to private mode? If so, have you read the topic "[Gremlins] No Indications of Being in Private Mode" in the link below.

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4570

If we are are on the same page think wise, I get the private mode in both ubuntu based Mint 16 and debian testing based SolydX.

With no tab open or in a single widow, I get the prompt "Private Mode" in the Title bar. With more than two tabs or windows open, I get the private mask icon to the far left which you can see in the screenshots which I made in that link.

My screenshot, the second one I made, is the correct one and it's on page 2.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-24, 19:42

I've actually checked and verified that -private works for Pale Moon when starting the binary from the command line in CentOS as well.
I'm not sure how your distro has set up the package, but maybe the command-line parameters aren't passed on to the binary?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lodestar

Unread post by Lodestar » 2014-05-25, 08:15

@HG,

I have the same thing on Ubuntu if i just use "-private". The way i do it is using "-private-window", this opens a private session for me.

halosghost

Unread post by halosghost » 2014-05-26, 03:17

Lodestar wrote:@HG,

I have the same thing on Ubuntu if i just use "-private". The way i do it is using "-private-window", this opens a private session for me.
Ah hah! This solves the problem. Using the -private flag simply does not work for me. Having multiple tabs open doesn't help, but -private-window works perfectly. I don't know what the issue is, but this is a fine solution for me :P

All the best,

-HG