Linux 32 and 64 common /home?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dougmack

Linux 32 and 64 common /home?

Unread post by dougmack » 2014-05-14, 18:08

I have PCLinuxOS 32-bit and 64-bit on the same drive, sharing a common /home partition. I have PM installed and working on the 32-bit system. Will there be
a problem if I now download and install the 64-bit version on my 64-bit / partition? I know there is a configuration file somewhere, but I don't know where it is, or if it
would be different for the two versions of PM. Also, of course, if i get the 64-bit version, will it blow away the 32-bit install?
Any advice welcome.

--doug

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Linux 32 and 64 common /home?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-14, 18:59

Moving this to the Linux board - the Pale Moon x64 board is meant for the Windows builds; the Linux board for all architectures on Linux. I'll try to clarify this in the description of the board :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-05-15, 05:15

dougmack wrote:Will there be a problem if I now download and install the 64-bit version on my 64-bit / partition?
I don't think so, but you could try different profiles if there are problems.
dougmack wrote:Also, of course, if i get the 64-bit version, will it blow away the 32-bit install?
Certainly not, unless /opt for both are on a common partition.

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2014-06-04, 13:21

Just to clarify - the firefox/palemoon profiles are compatible with 32 bit and 64 bit Linux ( I can't speak for Winbloze, but I suspect it is also compatible). I switch back and forth from 32 bit Linux to 64 bit Linux, and have never had any problems with the same profile directory. So far - but I've been doing this for years.