Will Pale Moon be in the Ubuntu software manager eventually?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MGA74

Re: Will Pale Moon be in the Ubuntu software manager eventua

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-09-19, 18:32

Night Wing,

I think I've been in luck ever since you picked up my cry for help!

Thank you for your further advice and encouragement.

Still following your instructions, I may be a little closer. I now get a response when I click on the Pale Moon icon - "There was an error launching the application".

When I click on the Properties of the Launcher box, I see:
Name Pale Moon
Description
Command /home/gam/Desktop/palemoon
Comment

Type desktop configuration file (application/x-desktop)
Size 210 bytes (210 bytes)

Does that seem OK? Nothing missing to make Pale Moon execute?

I'll see what you say. I cannot find the Launcher box in step 3. I'm feeling tempted by the Terminal method!

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2014-09-19, 21:53

I don't mean to step on Night Wing's toes here, being one of his biggest fans for straightforward, no-nonsense candor, but have you tried using the installer available on the Pale Moon for Linux home page? The latest is pminstaller-0.1.5.tar.bz2 (98.7 kB). It makes the installation process relatively painless compared to what you appear to be struggling with and as far as I recall (a week ago) you're never obliged to interact with the Terminal from start to finished installation. Access2godzilla even produced a video demo a few versions back that you can stop / start at critical stages to review each step in the process.

Joe is too modest in his self-proclaimed non-technical user credential status, but in this case I think he's created an unnecessary hurdle while being true to his words. Take a look at it again and tell me I'm wrong ;)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-20, 01:33

@MGA74

Try CraigPH's suggestion of using the Pale Moon installer which he has the link to (it's highlighted in blue color) in his message. The YouTube video he mentioned is the one below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUUoftcu ... e=youtu.be

I think the slight difference between MATE and XFCE is what is causing you some problems getting linux Pale Moon up and running.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-20, 01:36

CraigPD wrote:I don't mean to step on Night Wing's toes here
You're not stepping on my toes. Please feel free to help MGA74 in any way you can so he can get linux Pale Moon up and running in Mint with his MATE desktop environment.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-09-21, 11:43

CraigPH and Night Wing,

I took your advice to try the Pale Moon installer and I am now up and running in Mint MATE. Success!!

For anyone else thinking of trying - go ahead but do watch the video several times before you start. There are a couple of places where things seem to happen quickly.

I would like to thank you both for your help and encouragement - it made an enormous difference.

When I have a little more time I will have another look at getting the Pale Moon icon displayed and if I succeed I will report back here.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2014-09-21, 15:58

MGA74 wrote: I took your advice to try the Pale Moon installer and I am now up and running in Mint MATE. Success!!
Way to go! :thumbup:
MGA74 wrote:When I have a little more time I will have another look at getting the Pale Moon icon displayed and if I succeed I will report back here.
From the start menu under Internet category find Palemoon Web Browser, right click and select Add to Desktop and/or Add to Panel should set you up.