Will Pale Moon be in the Ubuntu software manager eventually?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
access2godzilla

Re: Will Pale Moon be in the Ubuntu software manager eventua

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-13, 10:41

Moonchild wrote:So, the server would automagically know which build toolset is needed?...
http://ppa.launchpad.net/marian.kadanka ... ian.tar.gz > palemoon_24.5.0-0~trusty1.debian.tar > debian/control

Code: Select all

Source: palemoon
Section: web
Priority: optional
Maintainer: Marián Kadaňka < marian. kadanka at openmailbox . org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 8.0.0),
	autotools-dev,
	autoconf2.13,
	quilt,
	zip,
	libxt-dev,
	libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.14),
	libgconf2-dev (>= 1.2.1),
	libasound2-dev,
	libcurl4-openssl-dev,
	libdbus-1-dev,
	libdbus-glib-1-dev (>= 0.60),
	libgstreamer0.10-dev,
	libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev,
	libiw-dev,
	mesa-common-dev,
	libnotify-dev (>= 0.4),
	uuid,
	yasm (>= 1.1),
	unzip,
	xvfb,
	python (>= 2.7),
	python-dev,
	libpulse-dev,
	software-properties-common
Standards-Version: 3.9.2
Homepage: http://www.palemoon.org/

Package: palemoon
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Description: Firefox-based, efficient and easy to use web browser
 Pale Moon offers selected features and optimizations to maximize 
 the browser's speed, stability and user experience, while maintaining 
 compatibility with the thousands of Firefox extensions you have come 
 to love and rely on.
 Pale Moon requires a processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 12:25

I see.
So what about it not building properly on gcc-4.8.*? I don't even see that mentioned...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-06-13, 18:48

access2godzilla wrote:Double clicking the pminstaller.sh file is enough to install it. Apparently some people find this too complex. *sigh*
Fun thing, I just updated to Trusty myself, allied all the updates, installed language packs, nothing else, then (still as admin) unpacked the installer, double clicked the script.... it opened in gEdit, changed the setting in Nautilus, still it opened in gEdit. Actually (according to settings), it should have asked what to do. Seems that Trusty is a bit buggy on that end (or maybe too featured)... To get it running i had to change the file properties. Same installer version work perfectly in Raring.

Starchild

Unread post by Starchild » 2014-06-13, 20:01

I support this, but not for Ubuntu. I would rather affiliate with Linux Mint, if any OS since their team dedicates itself to preserving the older desktop metaphor, and I'd rather the browser not be included until the next build of Linux Mint using a Ubuntu LTS build. Since that was very recent (with Ubuntu "Trusty Thar"), that gives somebody two years to compile and package Pale Moon for Debian systems.

So that means in 2016, a release ought to be ready for Linux Mint 21, and because PM updates itself anyway, it can be set up to not update the browser through the package manager, but instead just supply a single build that works until 2018, at which time a new build would be made for Linux Mint 25.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-14, 05:22

SvenG wrote:Actually (according to settings), it should have asked what to do.
If the file manager ignores the executability bit, then, well... (I specifically set that in the archive).
Works for me with all other file managers though (Thunar, pcmanfm, rox). spacefm is guilty of not heeding the executability bit as well.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-06-14, 07:57

Yes, seems like Nautilus borks it :( I have tried it with Nemo and it works perfect.

aliceif

Unread post by aliceif » 2014-06-14, 21:30

Right, about the whole gcc-4.8 thing:
Palemoon 2.4.6.1 compiled just fine for me using gcc 4.8.2 without any issues.
And I run a trusty-based distro.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-15, 01:02

aliceif wrote:Right, about the whole gcc-4.8 thing:
Palemoon 2.4.6.1 compiled just fine for me using gcc 4.8.2 without any issues.
And I run a trusty-based distro.
You mean 24.6.1 ;)

There have been issues with PNG decoding on gcc 4.8, so it apparently generated incorrect object code. It would compile, but running it properly would be a different story. Still possible that it worked for you depending on which optimization flags were used, but it's not guaranteed to give you stable or bug-free binaries.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

HeathenMan

Unread post by HeathenMan » 2014-09-12, 13:14

access2godzilla wrote:
Moonchild wrote:So, the server would automagically know which build toolset is needed?...
http://ppa.launchpad.net/marian.kadanka ... ian.tar.gz > palemoon_24.5.0-0~trusty1.debian.tar > debian/control

Code: Select all

Source: palemoon
Section: web
Priority: optional
Maintainer: Marián Kadaňka < marian. kadanka at openmailbox . org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 8.0.0),
	autotools-dev,
	autoconf2.13,
	quilt,
	zip,
	libxt-dev,
	libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.14),
	libgconf2-dev (>= 1.2.1),
	libasound2-dev,
	libcurl4-openssl-dev,
	libdbus-1-dev,
	libdbus-glib-1-dev (>= 0.60),
	libgstreamer0.10-dev,
	libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev,
	libiw-dev,
	mesa-common-dev,
	libnotify-dev (>= 0.4),
	uuid,
	yasm (>= 1.1),
	unzip,
	xvfb,
	python (>= 2.7),
	python-dev,
	libpulse-dev,
	software-properties-common
Standards-Version: 3.9.2
Homepage: http://www.palemoon.org/

Package: palemoon
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Description: Firefox-based, efficient and easy to use web browser
 Pale Moon offers selected features and optimizations to maximize 
 the browser's speed, stability and user experience, while maintaining 
 compatibility with the thousands of Firefox extensions you have come 
 to love and rely on.
 Pale Moon requires a processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set.

why should we use third-party versions- they are mentioned as dangerous!?
just download the latest linux .tar.gz and extract palemoon folder to the wanted install location. create a PaleMoon.desktop (Application Launch) with command
your-path-to-palemoon-folder/palemoon
-> done , working fine for my linux mint 17 qiana

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-09-15, 14:44

HeathenMan,

I too have Linux Mint Qiana and would love to be able to use Pale Moon.

It would be much appreciated if you could provide a step-by-step set of instructions for .."extract palemoon folder to the wanted install location, create a PaleMoon.desktop (Application Launch) with command your-path-to-palemoon-folder/palemoon". I am very new to Linux!

Thanks in advance.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-16, 02:03

MGA74 wrote:I too have Linux Mint Qiana and would love to be able to use Pale Moon.
Just something to pique your interest.

There are two ways to run linux Pale Moon in Mint 17 (Qiana). One is to install it and the other is not to install it, but run it from it's executable file.

Not installing it means you run linux Pale Moon from it's executable file which means you don't have to use the Terminal at all. Doing it this way won't create a menu entry under the Internet heading so this means there is no launcher/icon for linux Pale Moon.

However, you can create both a Desktop launcher icon and a Panel Taskbar launcher icon by the use of Gui windows.

The above is how I run linux Pale Moon in my linux Mint 17 (Qiana). Just "food for thought" if you don't want to install linux Pale Moon in Qiana. If you want to see a screenshot, I can provide that too.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-09-16, 07:48

Hello Night Wing,

Yes, I would certainly be interested in a screenshot, please. I am sure it would help enormously.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-16, 10:56

@MGA74

I'll provide you with two screenshots. One showing linux Pale Moon in Mint 17 Qiana with the Pale Moon launcher icon the Panel Taskbar and the other one will be a screenshot of my Desktop showing the Pale Moon launcher icon on the Desktop. Also on the Desktop you'll see the Pale Moon folder which was extracted from the downloaded tarball.

These two screenshots will be in the General forum and I'll post a link to the page they'll be on. Give me about 30-45 minutes from now.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-16, 11:34

@MGA74

You can see both of my two screenshots in the General forum at the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2484&start=90

Once on the page, scroll on down to my two messages and each message contains a screenshot.

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-09-17, 13:36

Night Wing,

Thank you very much for the two postings - and I do like your Desktop!

Now, you have sold me the idea, so how to proceed?

I know that I need to go to SourceForge.net where there are four files listed. I have an x86 machine, so do I download both x86 files? Once downloaded, what should I do in order to be able to run it from its executable file? And (reading that a new version is imminent) how would I upgrade - presumably delete then install the new version?

Thank you once again.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-17, 16:17

@MGA74

You have to make sure you have a 64 bit or 32 bit machine. My computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. If you're dual booting with Windows and linux, get on your Windows hard drive, go to your Control Panel and look for System. Click on System and it will tell you what bit (64 or 32) your computer is.

My computers are all 64 bit so on Sourceforge, I always choose the file that is x86_64. It's the "only" file I choose and it's 28 MB in size. I never choose the installer since I don't install linux Pale Moon.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/24.7.2/

Basically, that download is a tarball. I always like to download all my files to the Desktop so I can see them quickly. To keep it simple. I'm going to use what I do and it might be just a little different for you since I have all my Mint settings set for "single click" instead of double click.

Once I download the tarball to the Desktop, I right click on the tarball and a box opens up. In the box I choose and left click on the prompt "Extract here". The folder that is extracted is named, "palemoon". Then I left click on the "palemoon" folder and another box pops open. I then scroll on down to the executable file named (again) "palemoon". NOT the file named "palemoon-bin". ( I guess both files would work, but I've never used the palemoon-bin file.)

Then I right click on the "palemoon" executable file and another box opens up. Then I left click on the prompt, "Execute" and Pale Moon will open and run. You'll have to maximize Pale Moon since it will open up minimized.

When a new linux Pale Moon version is released, I download the newest Pale Moon tarball, then I just delete the green colored palemoon folder on my desktop. Then I repeat the steps above. All my settings are usually there in the new version, but I backup my settings to a thumb/flash drive just to be safe.

VERY IMPORTANT: Before you get "hot to trot" to run Pale Moon from the executable file, please remember you won't have the Desktop Pale Moon launcher icon and you won't have the Panel taskbar Pale Moon launcher icon. These launchers have to be created by the use of gui windows and that entails a lot more "steps" in explanation. I'm going to see if I can find those directions on the SolydX site where they should still be there in a topic. I just have to find the topic, then copy and paste those directions to this forum.

So I think you should "wait" until I find the launcher icon directions. I've got them written down, but re-typing them to this forum will be a very long, long message.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2014-09-17, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-17, 16:48

@MGA74

You're in luck. :D

I found the directions to create both Pale Moon launcher icons for the Desktop and for the Panel taskbar. The directions were given to me in TWO messages on the SolydXK site from a person by the username of "wayne". The topic link below comprises two pages on the topic.

Look at his message to me on April 5th, 2014 at 6:49 am in the morning (on Page 1) and this gives you the directions for the Panel launcher icon. The second message to me from wayne is also on April 5th, 2014, but the time is later, at 17:10 (5:10 pm) on Page 2 and it gives the directions for the Desktop Pale Moon launcher icon.

In his directions are links to "pictures" too so it should be easy for you to create the Pale Moon launcher icons. I would have copied and pasted, but I can't copy and paste the photos in the links. The link below is better and an easier way.

http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... +moon+icon

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-09-18, 20:04

Night Wing,

Just to thank you yet again for all the help you have given me.

I'm afraid I have hit a problem, probably due to differing versions of Mint 17 - I am running MATE.

Things are fine to the point where you have scrolled down to palemoon (not palemoon-bin!). When I try to right click, another box appears but there is no option to Execute the file. I need to dig around a bit.

You say that on executing, Pale Moon will run - and presumably shut down in the normal way?

Re the further instructions, I am not sure that I can carry out steps 1 and 2 as described but if right click on my desktop and then select 'Create Launcher' presumably I'm heading in the right direction? but I haven't figured out step 3 - no tabs.

As you will have gathered from all this I am struggling so it might be a day or two before I can report progress. But I will keep trying...

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-18, 21:00

@MGA74

I can't help you with MATE since I use XFCE. BTW, have you tried some help in the Mint forums with someone who is using MATE?

If you can get linux Pale Moon to open, you'll find there is no blue colored Pale Moon button in the upper left corner of the browser. You'll have to use the Menu Bar (File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help) to do things.

To close Pale Moon down, left click on "File", a box/window pops up and then left click on "Quit".

As for creating the Pale Moon icon launcher for the Desktop, by right clicking on an empty space on the Desktop and selecting "Create Launcher", you're definitely heading in the right direction.

BTW, did you click on the links in Wayne's messages to me? Those links show pictures to help you if you don't quite understand what he's telling you step wise (me at the time he typed those messages to me).

As for you struggling with this, that's ok. I struggled too if you read the messages from me to Wayne. Struggling is fine as long as you don't get frustrated. Keep this in mind. I'm a non-technical computer user which means I know a lot more than a computer illiterate person, but I know a lot less than a computer power user.

I don't like using the Terminal in linux. If there is a way to get what I want in linux without using the Terminal, I'll find it. This is how I came to use linux Pale Moon without installing linux Pale Moon. To install linux Pale Moon, you will have to use the Terminal.

I think I ran across a YouTube video which shows how to install linux Pale Moon in linux Mint using the Terminal so it will make no difference if one is using MATE, XFCE, KDE, etc. The desktop environment one uses doesn't affect the Terminal. If I can find the video, I'll post a link to it.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-18, 21:10

@MGA74

You're in luck (again). ;)

If you want to try to install linux Pale Moon using the Terminal, then I've found the YouTube video which should do the trick for you. Click on the link below. The video is 4 minutes long and the audio starts at the 6 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0kVgrEdLEA