Q About PM Updates (Ubuntu)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
sqelch7

Q About PM Updates (Ubuntu)

Unread post by sqelch7 » 2014-05-06, 02:44

I see there is no auto-update function in the Linux version. When I get the update notice for my WinXP/7 boxes, will the Linux version update be ready as well? I will subscribe to forum bulletins JIC. I think a brief FAQ tutorial (or a YouTube Video) for the Linux (Ubuntu) PM update procedure would be a great help for newbies. Does PM have to be uninstalled and re-installed? Is it to be patched in situ?

Are the Canonical updates going to attempt to reinstall FF? If I was Canon I would use the FF removal to trigger a negative, but most probably this will become a repetitive annoyance. Or simply allow the install and immediately remove FF. This is going to wear holes in my digits. Ugh.

access2godzilla

Re: Q About PM Updates (Ubuntu)

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-05-06, 05:24

sqelch7 wrote:I see there is no auto-update function in the Linux version. ... Does PM have to be uninstalled and re-installed? Is it to be patched in situ?
http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/ ... hazupdater
sqelch7 wrote:When I get the update notice for my WinXP/7 boxes, will the Linux version update be ready as well?
The Linux builds usually come around a few days later.
sqelch7 wrote:Are the Canonical updates going to attempt to reinstall FF?
I've not used Ubuntu in a long time, so I'm hazy on the details, but IIRC, yes it will. It's like downloading a full distro, with all its packages.

Roranicus

Re: Q About PM Updates (Ubuntu)

Unread post by Roranicus » 2014-05-11, 18:12

You can go in synaptic and either lock or remove firefox if you don't want it. Personnally, I'd recommend keeping it up to date in case there's ever a problem with palemoon and you need a backup browser. (I've personnally always needed 2 or 3 browsers, probably cause I play with addons and config settings too much). You can still set palemoon as the default browser and Ubuntu should remember that setting, just as if you'd use chromium or some other browser.