A Little Help Needed for a Linux Newbie

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

A Little Help Needed for a Linux Newbie

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-04-20, 05:32

I am about 99.5% "green" on Linux, so sorry if this is a dumb question. :)
On the wiki for installation here, it says:
Installation, uninstallation and upgrades are managed via the pminstaller installation tool. To use it, extract the pminstaller-*.tar.bz2 file and run the pminstaller.sh file.
My question is this: after running the pminstaller.sh file, is PM for Linux installed automatically? I'm reading the paragraphs that follow the quoted instructions and my head is spinning. :wtf:

jumba

Re: A Little Help Needed for a Linux Newbie

Unread post by jumba » 2014-04-20, 12:11

helloimustbegoing wrote: My question is this: after running the pminstaller.sh file, is PM for Linux installed automatically? I'm reading the paragraphs that follow the quoted instructions and my head is spinning. :wtf:
Yes, pminstaller.sh is the tool to install/uninstall/upgrade PM automatically.

It is a shell script to automate executing of the installation commands that are described in the wiki under the "Other installation methods".

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-20, 12:22

I'm not a fan of using the Terminal when installing third party programs outside of the Mint or SolydX repositories. Like you, following those instructions is like "trying to understand a foreign language".

Pale Moon in both Mint and SolydX is really not installed on my computers -- I chose to run Pale Moon from it's extracted tarball just like in the quote below from those instructions in the link you provided:
Other installation methods
It should be noted that it is not necessary to install Pale Moon to use it. It is distributed as an bzipped tarball which can be extracted anywhere and run by executing the "palemoon" file inside it.
Using the quoted method above makes me do un-necessary mouse clicks to launch Pale Moon since there is no desktop icon or panel launcher icon (on the taskbar) installed to launch Pale Moon. You can add the desktop icon and/or the panel launcher icon without the using the terminal, but it takes quite a few steps and mouse clicks to accomplish this. Once a new version of Pale Moon is released, you download the newest tarball first, delete the "palemoon" folder and extract the new one onto the desktop.

Below is the attachment showing the Mint Desktop, but I can't take a screen shot of the Desktop with the menu as it disappears when I try and take the screen shot. You can see both the Pale Moon launcher icon on the desktop and the taskbar, as well as the extracted folder of Pale Moon (palemoon). I don't have a menu entry under Menu>Internet, as I have with Firefox, since I didn't really install Pale Moon.
Midnight Sail1366.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anonymous on 2014-04-20, 16:59, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Stackexchange syndrome + fix typo
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-04-20, 14:10

Night Wing wrote:
In essence, Pale Moon in both Mint and SoydX is really not installed on both of my desktop towers computers.
But can you install add-ons (like NoScript & Adblock Edge) since Pale Moon isn't really installed?

BTW, that's a cool desktop image.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-20, 14:16

@helloimustbegoing
Yes, as jumba said, it's a tool to install Pale Moon. Extract the pminstaller-*.tar.bz2 and double click on the pminstaller.sh file. That's all you need to do. Here's a video of it: http://youtu.be/2yzHBydyzgM . I did it through a local server and not the PM4Linux website because downloading 28MB archives only burns small holes in my pocket due to data caps, but it should give you an idea. Also, I did use the terminal (since I recorded it to find some bugs in the installer), but double clicking works as well.

Also, I would request you not to install via the method described by Night wing above. Yes, simple "extract and run" works, but installation tool is the preferred method unless there is some real reason why you cannot install it. For example, I can push distro specific fixes, when they arise, via the installation tool. If you don't use it, I'll have to write long articles about these things, and in the end everyone loses -- you'd think Linux is a poor OS and I'd get less downloads ("oh so complex to use").

Also, extensions and everything is installable in that mode. Similar to "Windows zip packed versions of Pale Moon", if that makes you feel better.

@Night wing
So you find extracting an archive and double clicking on a file to be similar to "trying to understand a foreign language"?
**speechless**

The command line are there for those who want to have more control over the installation. That doesn't mean that you have to use them, it's your discretion, but then again, please don't go on long rants on this subject. (BTW, I had to merge and shorten your posts. Please make your posts concise -- and I know you can do it.)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-20, 16:13

access2godzilla wrote:@Night wing
So you find extracting an archive and double clicking on a file to be similar to "trying to understand a foreign language"?
**speechless**
I don't find extracting a file from a tarball or double clicking on a file, "trying to understand a foreign language". I find the instructions, when using the Terminal, is the equivalent of trying to understand a foreign language.

As an example, remember the Terminal instructions you gave me to install the Firefox ESR versions in Mint? I still haven't figured what I'm doing wrong because using those Terminal instructions, I still haven't been able to install the ESR versions of Firefox into Mint. I keep getting "error, file not found, failed" etc, when using the Terminal.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox