FM4Linux?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

FM4Linux?

Unread post by trava90 » 2014-04-11, 22:15

With the great (and much appreciated) work access2godzilla has done in bringing Moonchild's great browser to Linux, I was just wondering if there is a possibility FossaMail might get the same treatment? FossaMail would be a much better companion to Pale Moon on my Fedora box than Thunderbird! ;)

access2godzilla

Re: FM4Linux?

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-12, 03:44

Fossamail is not interesting for me to look at, at least for now. I'm simply not interested in building a product with "-O3 -s -msse2 -mfpmath=sse" flags.

Regardless of what is done with Fossamail (even if repackaged with GPG binaries, as has been planned for a future release), I'm not willing to build Fossamail, since GPG comes with most distros.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: FM4Linux?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-12, 08:44

FossaMail is a re-branded optimized rebuild at this time. It uses the exact same source code as Thunderbird (unaltered) and the only changes made are in a non-standard program configuration and non-official build method and build configuration, and it's more a convenience build (optimized binaries for Windows and offering 64-bit binaries) than a real fork, and besides that is suitable for people who want to use a non-official/non-MozillaCorp build out of principle.

As such, it is no different than what anyone on Linux can very simply do themselves: grab the source code, configure and build a non-official build for your own machine. You can even push the limits and build specifically for your own machine. Look at the MDN build documentation for a "simple Thunderbird build". There is no real need for a separate FM4Linux project unless significant changes are made to the source code. (which isn't the case)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite