Blue Colored Pale Moon Launcher Icon in Linux (XFCE) Distros

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Blue Colored Pale Moon Launcher Icon in Linux (XFCE) Distros

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-05, 15:52

I really enjoy linux Pale Moon. But being a non-technical computer user, I'm not very good with using the linux terminal to do things. Things just don't go right.

Anyway, I've been launching Pale Moon using the executable file from the extracted tarball. Doing it this way does not make a menu entry or puts the blue colored Pale Moon icon into the Panel taskbar.

Today on the linux SolydXK forum site, a nice person (by the user name of "Wayne") gave me instructions on how to put the blue colored Pale Moon icon launcher on the Panel taskbar in SolydX without using the linux Terminal.

These instructions are for the XFCE desktop environment of SolydX. These instructions worked and as an added bonus, I was able to use these exact same instructions to do the same thing for Mint 16 (XFCE). The instructions are below.
Hi Night_Wing,

Just do it step by step.
I shall type all steps here in XFCE.

1. Right Click Applications Menu > Panel > Add New Items...
2. On the pop up windows, left-click Launcher, then move cursor down to left-click Add
you should see a launcher icon ( i called it 'new icon') appear on Panel.
the 'new icon' may be only a box with a red cross.

3. Right-click the 'new icon' > Properties,
you should now see a popup windows that is in the image on top-left hand side of
the linked image http://oi61.tinypic.com/28bz0ja.jpg

Its title is Launcher
two tabs: General, Advanced

Right-hand side, a vertical row of icons. Hover your mouse over them and read them, similar to these meaning:

Up, Down, Add an existing item, add a new empty item , delete an entry,

4. Mouse to the icon which says 'add a new empty item'. Left-click it, it will popup a 'Create Launcher' window that looks like bottom-left hand side of the linked image http://oi61.tinypic.com/28bz0ja.jpg

5. Type in Name...as you wish, I put palemoon
6. Type in Comment as you wish, I put browser

7. On the command, click its right-hand-side icon, browse to your 'palemoon directory' and click the 'palemoon' icon in that directory

8. Now the icon, you can choose anything that is available, but I find the official palemoon icon as follows:

Left-click the 'no-icon' on Icon
On Select an Icon popup window, click Select Icon from (Hit Application icon... then scroll down to select 'Image file'.

Navigate on the left-hand-panel and central panel with clicking to your palemoon directory.
Palemoon icon is mozico128.png and it is in the directory /palemoon/browser/icons
as I captured in the linked image
http://oi62.tinypic.com/21nf5fm.jpg

Click 'OK' after selecting the icon, the Select an icon windows will close

On 'create launcher' window, click 'create'
the windows will close

At this point you should see the 'new icon' on panel will change to palemoon icon. You can always use Edit later on to change the icon to something else if you like.

9. Finally move the newly created icon to your desired location. Hope these help
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

access2godzilla

Re: Blue Colored Pale Moon Launcher Icon in Linux (XFCE) Dis

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-05, 16:09

No need for having to even do that :) I've made an installer, you can get it here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/n2l9a3 ... minstaller

Get the one in the 0.0.5 folder, and download the normal download (one without "src" in the filename.)

I know it's marked beta, but it's actually quite stable and won't cause problems. Tomorrow I'll put it up on SF as the default download.

Note: after installing PM with the installer, go to ~/.local/share/applications and delete anything with "Pale Moon" or "cache" in its name. Otherwise you'll end up with two entries of Pale Moon everywhere.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-05, 16:22

@A2G

The reason I hadn't tried your new linux Pale Moon mini-installer was because it was listed as a beta. As with a terminal in Windows or linux, me and betas don't get along as well if you get my drift. ;)

Thanks for all you do to bring Pale Moon to linux.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-04-20, 14:08

So the installer will put the Pale Moon icon on the desktop automatically?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-20, 14:59

Don't know since I haven't tried the new Pale Moon installer.

For me, I use the easiest method which works for me and which I understand. The method I use doesn't give me any headaches and this is the reason why I haven't used the new Pale Moon installer.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-04-21, 03:38

Quoting myself:
So the installer will put the Pale Moon icon on the desktop automatically?
I just installed PM for Linux with the installer, and the answer is no, it does not. However, all I had to do to get the Palemoon icon on the desktop is drag it from the Menu to the desktop. Simple! And the installation via the installer was painless. FTR,this is on Linux Mint 13; and I'm adding this post via Palemoon on Linux. :thumbup:

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-04-21, 05:56

The desktop is in your control on linux! ;)

Heartfelt

Unread post by Heartfelt » 2014-05-03, 04:40

Reporting in that the installer worked flawlessly for me. I got an entry in my XFCE menu under the "Internet" category. :thumbup:

I'm running Mint 16 on this laptop.