Pale Moon installer (beta)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
access2godzilla

Pale Moon installer (beta)

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-03-31, 12:11

To make things slightly easier for first time Linux users, I've made a GUI based installer for pm4linux. They are here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/n2l9a3 ... minstaller

While these installers have been sufficiently tested, they may contain small bugs and hence are marked beta. Report them if you spot one.

Using the installer (pminstaller.tar.bz2):
- Extract the archive
- Run the pminstaller.sh script (by double clicking or from the terminal)

Compiling from source (pminstaller-0.0.1b.tar.xz):

Code: Select all

tar -xf pminstaller-0.0.1b.tar.xz
cd pminstaller
./compile
A packaged installer will await you in the pminstaller/build directory.

jumba

Re: Pale Moon installer (beta)

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-31, 13:20

I will test it, good job! :thumbup:

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-31, 14:06

Did a quick test to install and remove, no problems!

Some questions:
Can users also use this tool to update to a new version, like update function if there is a newer version?
Version selection was kind of hard that it needed to manually insert the version string without a list of actual versions. Also I think it would be great if it could show and prompt to install the most recent version. ( in-progress? )

Do you need any specific info/output or test cases to hunt bugs? :)

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-03-31, 16:38

jumba wrote:Can users also use this tool to update to a new version, like update function if there is a newer version?
Updates are possible via uninstall+install.
Version selection was kind of hard that it needed to manually insert the version string without a list of actual versions.
I'll add a button in the select version dialog which would take the user to the files page. Will this suffice?
Also I think it would be great if it could show and prompt to install the most recent version. ( in-progress? )
Need to write something server side for that. I'll have to look into that.
Do you need any specific info/output or test cases to hunt bugs?
Okay, then, are you seeing this strange behaviour of "uninstall finished" being displayed before it is actually ? Maybe you can have a look at the source regarding this issue? (that is, if you are seeing this issue at all.)

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-31, 19:20

access2godzilla wrote:Updates are possible via uninstall+install.
Ok, what about "Update Pale Moon" action entry that just does both of them?
I'll add a button in the select version dialog which would take the user to the files page. Will this suffice?
I was thinking for like a list chooser of available versions and the most recent would be selected. Maybe read from local file inside the installer or from server, possible?
Okay, then, are you seeing this strange behaviour of "uninstall finished" being displayed before it is actually ? Maybe you can have a look at the source regarding this issue? (that is, if you are seeing this issue at all.)
Oh, it is doing that. I didn't notice it at first.
I think it is right after or when deleting files starts. I can try to look the source if I understand anything :D

Closing running instances of Pale Moon...
Removing file associations...
Deleting files...

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-31, 19:34

Related?
http://serverfault.com/questions/213252 ... en-removed

E: compile misses -j for tar to create bz2 archive.

Update: got it! :D
I moved the "uninstall completed" dialog popup command from the pmremove_main() to pmremove(). No idea why it needed this, but it works. :)

> diff installer-old.sh installer.sh
175d174
< 	dlg_i "Pale Moon was uninstalled from your computer."
206a206
> 	dlg_i "Pale Moon was uninstalled from your computer."

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-04-01, 05:49

I was thinking for like a list chooser of available versions and the most recent would be selected. Maybe read from local file inside the installer or from server, possible?
After rethinking, people who are probably going to use this tool will just want to install the latest version, without knowing what is the version number. So I think the best would be that it consists of two actions:

"Install the latest Pale Moon" -> would somehow find latest version of PM4Linux and install that without any version popups.
"Install a version..." -> the same as the "Install Pale Moon" is now, to manually insert the version string.

What do you think? :think:

sorry for these triple posts..

Update: here is one way to get the latest version number! :D

curl -sI http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/latest/download | sed -n 's/^Location:.*\/pm4linux\/\(.*\)\/.*$/\1/p'

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-01, 11:56

Nice one! :thumbup: But most systems have wget, so:

wget --spider http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/latest/download 2>&1 | sed -n 's/^Location:.*\/pm4linux\/\(.*\)\/.*$/\1/p' | sort -u
Okay, I uploaded a new version (source only). It might not work as smoothly as v0.0.1 so its best to run it in a VM.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-05, 06:25

I implemented the server side components required for pminstaller. v 0.0.4 has an updater.
They are available here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/n2l9a3 ... minstaller

Please test them and report bugs, if any.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-04-05, 07:04

Nice! :thumbup:

One thing I noticed: I have PM installed to /usr/lib/palemoon, which the installer checks too, but the update function offers me to install the latest version although the /opt/palemoon/application.ini doesn't exist. Maybe add one more if case to check if the application.ini file exists in /opt/ and prevent updating if not.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-05, 12:05

Please check out v0.0.5 in that link, thanks.