Plugins - Flash and other

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Manom

Plugins - Flash and other

Unread post by Manom » 2014-03-12, 22:45

Installed nice everything on Linux Mint maya,
except plugins.
Tryed all from wiki instructions but still nothing.
Reainstalled flash also nothing.

Can someone please explain where to copy plugin fies, and clear instruction ?

My Palemoon folder is in opt/palemoon

PS
Great browser, thanks for linux support.

access2godzilla

Re: Plugins - Flash and other

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-03-13, 02:06

You should put Flash Player's libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and check the permissions. They should be readable by all users.
Last edited by access2godzilla on 2014-04-08, 09:51, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Correction

Manom

Unread post by Manom » 2014-03-13, 06:04

Solved.
Reainstalled and it worked, all plugins from firefof.
Anyway I disabled most of them :)

Thanks

LReznick

Unread post by LReznick » 2014-04-08, 02:55

Technically, /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins doesn't seem to solve it for x86_64. The correct path is /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins and the files are already there on my system, but pm4linux doesn't see them in that path:

Code: Select all

$ ls /usr/lib*/mozilla/plugins
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins:
libflashplayer.so                      libtotem-cone-plugin.so
libgnome-shell-browser-plugin.so       libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
libjavaplugin.so                       libtotem-mully-plugin.so
librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so  libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins:

Is there some configuration that I should change? I just installed pm4linux and am still in the process of configuring and migrating.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-08, 09:40

LReznick wrote:Technically, /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins doesn't seem to solve it for x86_64. The correct path is /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
Not on my system (Debian based):

a2g@antiX1:~$ uname -a
Linux antiX1 3.7.10-antix.4-amd64-smp #1 SMP Tue Jun 18 17:18:59 EEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
a2g@antiX1:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
total 540
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     34 Jun 16  2013 flash-mozilla.so -> /etc/alternatives/flash-mozilla.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 106688 May  3  2012 gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 106688 May  3  2012 gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 106688 May  3  2012 gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 106688 May  3  2012 gecko-mediaplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 106688 May  3  2012 gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so
a2g@antiX1:~$ readlink -e /etc/alternatives/flash-mozilla.so 
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
a2g@antiX1:~$ file /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so 
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
So it seems you're a Fedora user. Have you made sure that:
- The version of Flash you've installed is 64 and not 32 bit?
- The permissions are correct (i.e. everyone can read the libflashplayer.so file)?

As a last resort, try:

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
palemoon

LReznick

Unread post by LReznick » 2014-04-08, 14:38

access2godzilla wrote:
LReznick wrote:Technically, /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins doesn't seem to solve it for x86_64. The correct path is /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
Not on my system (Debian based):

a2g@antiX1:~$ uname -a
Linux antiX1 3.7.10-antix.4-amd64-smp #1 SMP Tue Jun 18 17:18:59 EEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[...]

a2g@antiX1:~$ readlink -e /etc/alternatives/flash-mozilla.so 
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
a2g@antiX1:~$ file /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so 
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
So it seems you're a Fedora user. Have you made sure that:
- The version of Flash you've installed is 64 and not 32 bit?
- The permissions are correct (i.e. everyone can read the libflashplayer.so file)?

As a last resort, try:

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
palemoon
Well, I wasn't expecting to play Distro Wars with you. Yes, the Flash version is 64-bit. Everybody can read it. However, /etc/alternatives has nothing for *flash* in it, and there is no MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH currently defined, yet Firefox finds it just fine and Pale Moon is based on Mozilla so I was surprised that Pale Moon didn't find it.

$ uname -a
Linux pimpernel 3.13.8-200.fc20.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 1 03:35:46 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ file /usr/lib*/mozilla/plugins/*
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so:                     symbolic link to `/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so'
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libgnome-shell-browser-plugin.so:      ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=bd114a4219b4ed8db0547beb48b5ce755fab0d1b, stripped
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so:                      symbolic link to `/etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so.x86_64'
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=e80515da9ba636d2a0dff755c1437b78d2ca566b, stripped
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-cone-plugin.so:               ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=c67d255f275dbdb65153d93f90760c256670401b, stripped
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so:                ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=c2a6d1d05d4819e48d5323c10738dd2e58600d84, stripped
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-mully-plugin.so:              ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=09eaa52f283e6de6e761f5e60dffd61b9abae901, stripped
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so:        ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=abe7c9104c81698b80c3a5c261bdc0b63024aa86, stripped

$ file /usr/lib*/flash-plugin/*
/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/homecleanup:       POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable
/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/LICENSE:           UTF-8 Unicode text
/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/README:            ASCII text
/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/setup:             Bourne-Again shell script, ASCII text executable

$ ls -ohH /usr/lib*/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.*
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root 19M Feb 25 09:00 /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
So how does Firefox know how to find it and Pale Moon doesn't? Maybe there's another configuration -- other than MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH -- that I'm missing? Maybe there's a way to look for it that Pale Moon is missing?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-08, 15:20

First of all, is this a Firefox version from the repos? If so, it may have been compiled with extra parameters/code that specifically enable this.

FF builds by Mozilla do have this problem. It isn't PM specific. For example,
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985662

LReznick

Unread post by LReznick » 2014-04-08, 16:50

access2godzilla wrote:First of all, is this a Firefox version from the repos? If so, it may have been compiled with extra parameters/code that specifically enable this.
Yep, straight from the Fedora system repo:

$ rpm -q firefox
firefox-28.0-3.fc20.x86_64

# dnf info 'firefox'
Installed Packages
Name        : firefox
Arch        : x86_64
Epoch       : 0
Version     : 28.0
Release     : 3.fc20
Size        : 91 M
Repo        : @System
From repo   : updates
Summary     : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
URL         : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
License     : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
Description : Mozilla Firefox is an open-source web browser, designed for
            : standards compliance, performance and portability.
I really want to dump Firefox in favor of PM4Linux.
access2godzilla wrote:FF builds by Mozilla do have this problem. It isn't PM specific. For example,
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985662
Interesting. Looks like that problem was a 32 vs 64 mixture. In my case PM is not trying the lib64 dir when not found in the lib dir.

I found out that Firefox does it in their startup script:

MOZ_ARCH=$(uname -m)
case $MOZ_ARCH in
        x86_64 | s390x | sparc64)
                MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"
                SECONDARY_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib"
                ;;
        * )
                MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib"
                SECONDARY_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"
                ;;
esac
So, they modify their own launch variables based on system query. I notice that /opt/palemoon/run-mozilla.sh uses MOZ_DIST_BIN to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I don't know if PM uses a startup system query script.

When compiling code for system installations I set special library tree names in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf files. I don't trust using LD_LIBRARY_PATH because people can change that too easily. Such installation scripts simply put the relevant file in place. Obviously, that's for compiling and running compiled code, different from this problem, but that leads me to /etc/alternatives. I could try the MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH you suggested before, but I noticed /etc/alternatives has the following:

$ ls -oh /etc/alternatives/*.so*
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root 27 Feb  9 13:03 /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 -> /usr/lib64/IcedTeaPlugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root 34 Apr  1 08:24 /etc/alternatives/libnssckbi.so.x86_64 -> /usr/lib64/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so
So, do you recommend I set such a symlink? If so, might that be something that could be part of the PM installation notes? Or, is there a better solution, especially one that survives future upgrades of the system?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-08, 17:10

[quote=""LReznick"]So, do you recommend I set such a symlink?[/quote]
You can use the alternatives system if you want to, but then, it doesn't resolve the problem at hand -- PM doesn't read the /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins folder.
LReznick wrote:Or, is there a better solution, especially one that survives future upgrades of the system?
I'd set up things in this way:
/usr/bin/palemoon

#!/bin/sh
PM_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins"
if [ -z "$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH" ]; then
    export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="$PM_PLUGIN_PATH"
else
    export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH:$PM_PLUGIN_PATH"
fi
exec /opt/palemoon/palemoon "$@"
This will become part of the pminstaller tool in the next release, due tomorrow.
Last edited by access2godzilla on 2014-04-16, 06:56, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: make the solution a bit better

LReznick

Unread post by LReznick » 2014-04-08, 17:45

access2godzilla wrote:
LReznick wrote:Or, is there a better solution, especially one that survives future upgrades of the system?
I'd set up things in this way:
/usr/bin/palemoon

#!/bin/sh
PM_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins"
if [ -z "$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH" ]; then
    export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="$PM_PLUGIN_PATH"
else
    export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH:$PM_PLUGIN_PATH"
fi
exec /opt/palemoon/palemoon "$@"
This will become part of the pminstaller tool in the next release, due tomorrow.
Done. Works now. Thanks for your help!

davodego

Unread post by davodego » 2014-07-24, 05:02

I've the Same Problem, but the script dosn't solved it. Opensuse 13.1 x64. Firefox has all the plugins and about:plugins in PM shows nothing.
Please help...

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-07-25, 02:40

Although I did recommend setting up things in that manner, it would be better if you put that in /etc/profile.

You need to check where the path of the plugins are. Did you check the file paths for the corresponding packages?