Question on linux PM 24.3.2 in 64-bit (Solved)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Question on linux PM 24.3.2 in 64-bit (Solved)

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-02-13, 12:42

Since I'm not a power user, I've got a question on the latest release of: (palemoon-24.3.2.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2).

Is the above a 32-bit linux release of Pale Moon? Since I'm a non techical computer user, I'm asking because the first linux 64-bit Pale Moon released to the general public I downloaded was: (palemoon-24.3.1.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2).

The two linux distros I use (Mint 16 & SolydX) are both 64-bit operating systems and they state a linux 64-bit browser should be used if there is choice between 32-bit and 64-bit of the same browser.

The two different looking tarball descriptions is why I'm holding off downloading the new tarball because my "gut" is telling me not to upgrade to the newest release of linux Pale Moon until I get a definitive answer.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2014-02-13, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Question on linux PM 24.3.2 in 64-bit

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-13, 12:55

As a rule of thumb, i386/i586/i686 versions are x86 (32-bit) versions.
Anything with x86_64 are x64 (64-bit) versions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Question on linux PM 24.3.2 in 64-bit

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-02-13, 13:04

Moonchild,

Thanks for confirming that tarball in the link is 32-bit. When I first saw it in the link, my gut was telling me; "No, no, definitely not".

I just now took another look at the link and now I see the two parent tarballs and one of them is the 64-bit x86_64 tarball. I don't see how I missed it the first time. I guess old age and my bad eyesight is really starting to take it's toll on me. :roll:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox