Submitting to AUR (arch user repository)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jumba

Submitting to AUR (arch user repository)

Unread post by jumba » 2014-02-04, 15:42

Update: I have submitted it now: AUR (en) - palemoon :thumbup:

I'm using arch linux both on my laptop and desktop. The AUR is a fast and easy way to install community provided packages. It would be great to have PM there. I'm not familiar with packaging, but the arch wiki provides a comprehensive source of information which helped me in creating the package. I have couple of questions regarding this:
  1. First of all is it ok to submit it there? Using the access2godzilla build binaries on sourceforge.
  2. I tested the package that it works both on my laptop and desktop, but this is my first package I've created, it's likely that there may be some problems. Should I give this to some one with more experience?
  3. Some information I copied from similar firefox-esr-bin package, like licences and dependencies. Here is the full PKGBUILD. What do you think, is the description ok? I copied it from PM4Linux sf page. I'm not sure should I use palemoon-bin as package name instead to show that it is a binary build.
GNU nano 2.2.6 File: PKGBUILD

Code: Select all

# Maintainer: sumt <sumt at sci dot fi>
pkgname=palemoon
pkgver=24.3.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Browser based on Firefox that's optimised for performance."
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/"
license=('MPL' 'GPL' 'LGPL')
depends=('gtk2' 'dbus-glib' 'desktop-file-utils' 'libxt' 'mime-types' 'nss' 'alsa-lib')
optdepends=('networkmanager: Location detection via available WiFi networks'
            'gstreamer0.10-base-plugins: vorbis decoding, ogg demuxing'
            'gstreamer0.10-good-plugins: webm and mp4 demuxing'
            'gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins: aac, vp8 and opus decoding'
            'gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins: h.264 and mp3 decoding'
            'gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg: more decoders'
            'libpulse: PulseAudio audio driver')
install=palemoon.install
source=(http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pm4linux/$pkgname-$pkgver.en-US.linux-$CARCH.tar.bz2
        $pkgname.desktop)
md5sums=('88fe69cd12baf1de15d58c1be5e68a2e'
         '00d640ab6261fd1fb4adbadf79edd1f5')
[ "$CARCH" == "i686" ] && md5sums[0]='065793af06c68a4491acb2fd1a9eda29'

package() {
  install -d "$pkgdir"/usr/{bin,lib}
  cp -r palemoon/ "$pkgdir/usr/lib/$pkgname"
  ln -s "/usr/lib/$pkgname/palemoon" "$pkgdir/usr/bin/palemoon"
  install -Dm644 palemoon.desktop "$pkgdir/usr/share/applications/$pkgname.desktop"

# icons
  install -Dm644 palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default16.png \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/$pkgname.png"
  install -Dm644 palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default32.png \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/$pkgname.png"
  install -Dm644 palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/$pkgname.png"
  install -Dm644 palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/$pkgname.png"

# use system-provided dictionaries
  rm -rf "$pkgdir"/usr/lib/$pkgname/{dictionaries,hyphenation}
  ln -s /usr/share/hunspell "$pkgdir/usr/lib/$pkgname/dictionaries"
  ln -s /usr/share/hyphen "$pkgdir/usr/lib/$pkgname/hyphenation"

# avoid duplicate binaries
  # https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=658850
  ln -sf palemoon "$pkgdir/usr/lib/$pkgname/palemoon-bin"
}
I attached the tarball if there are any arch users out there.
Last edited by jumba on 2014-03-21, 10:12, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Submitting to AUR (arch user repository)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-04, 17:10

jumba wrote:First of all is it ok to submit it there? Using the access2godzilla build binaries on sourceforge.
As long as you stay within the normal "common sense" and intended redistribution frame, that's fine with me (i.e.: don't make modified binaries or modules, don't add custom plugins, don't change default settings, etc.)
jumba wrote:Should I give this to some one with more experience?
If you don't have any experience with packaging, at least get a second opinion :) Don't want to make a bad first impression, after all?
jumba wrote:Here is the full PKGBUILD. What do you think, is the description ok? I copied it from PM4Linux sf page. I'm not sure should I use palemoon-bin as package name instead to show that it is a binary build.
I'm not familiar with the common "etiquette" of the Arch Linux Repository. Use common sense? If the Firefox binary packages are called -bin, use the same for Pale Moon (You may have to repackage and provide a -src as well to the repository to stay within the MPL/Open Source rules of the repository (I don't know, ask the people in charge?))
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-02-04, 18:16

Moonchild wrote:If you don't have any experience with packaging, at least get a second opinion :) Don't want to make a bad first impression, after all?
Yep, I'll make a topic to AUR forums to ask for a review and if people are interested to be a maintainer.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-05, 05:39

jumba wrote:Yep, I'll make a topic to AUR forums to ask for a review and if people are interested to be a maintainer.
Unfortunately, since MC is primarily making PM for windows; various issues have cropped up with the code at various times. At one time Pale Moon would not even get to compile! I don't know if the maintainers will be actually willing to fix these things; some are willing to do so and contribute patches upstream, some do not and wait for fixes.

I tested the arch package -- it works fine, but the method of installing packages is very strange!

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-02-05, 15:39

access2godzilla wrote:I tested the arch package -- it works fine, but the method of installing packages is very strange!
Extract the tarball then run

makepkg
sudo pacman -U palemoon-24.3.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
makepkg creates the package using the PKGBUILD instructions file. An AUR helper would do it automatically, e.g. to install it with yaourt if it would be on AUR.

yaourt -S palemoon
I posted the review request here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 5#p1378325

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-06, 00:14

They call their package manager "yoghurt"? really? :lol:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-02-06, 06:03

Moonchild wrote:They call their package manager "yoghurt"? really? :lol:
pacman is the package manager.
yaourt is French for yoghurt, and also Yet AnOther User Repository Tool :D

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-06, 16:52

After analysing some FF packages from various distros, I can say that you should not set up the package in the way you have currently set it up.

TL;DR: if your target distro is known, don't send things to /opt. Set things up as described in "man hier" and the freedesktop.org spec.

Longer answer:

- The contents of the tarball should go in /usr/share/palemoon
- Symlink /usr/share/palemoon/palemoon to /usr/bin/palemoon.
- Create symlinks in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/<height>x<width>/apps/palemoon.png seperately to each icon (16,32,48,128 px) icons already present in the tarball.
- It is preferable to have a XPM version of the icon in /usr/share/pixmaps/palemoon.xpm, and optionally a SVG version in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/palemoon.svg
- Use "Icon=palemoon" in the menu entry. This will allow the system to choose the best icon accordingly.

I think it'd satisfy namcap too, although namcap's analysis isn't completely right either. Also, instead of simply copying off the deps from firefox-esr-bin, run ldd over each ELF to see what libs they depend on; and put the required package names.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-02-06, 18:55

This is what reads on arch wiki,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ar ... _hierarchy
/opt: Problematic packages
Packages and large static files that do not fit cleanly into the above GNU filesystem layout can be placed in /opt. ...
/usr/share: Architecture independent data
This directory contains 'shareable', architecture-independent files (docs, icons, fonts etc). ...
/usr/lib: Libraries
Contains application private data (kernel modules, systemd services, udev rules, etc) ...
The firefox package in arch's official repository has the following structure,

usr
├── bin
│   └── firefox -> /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
├── lib
│   └── firefox
│       ├── application.ini
│       ├── browser
│       ├── chrome.manifest
│       ├── components
│       ├── defaults
│       ├── dependentlibs.list
│       ├── dictionaries -> /usr/share/hunspell
│       ├── firefox
│       ├── firefox-bin -> firefox
│       ├── hyphenation -> /usr/share/hyphen
//

│       └── webapprt-stub
└── share
    ├── applications
    │   └── firefox.desktop
    └── icons
        └── hicolor
            ├── 128x128
            │   └── apps
            │       └── firefox.png
           //

└── 64x64
Should I follow the official package and use /usr/lib instead? Many firefox binary packages on AUR are using /opt/ including the firefox-esr-bin, confusing :eh:

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-07, 05:48

jumba wrote:Should I follow the official package and use /usr/lib instead?
Yeah, use /usr/lib and set things up the way I described. (Not /usr/share/firefox/, though, use /usr/lib/firefox/, my bad).
/opt should be used if and only if your target distro is not known. You know the target distro here very well.

As seen from the official Arch package, you should also symlink dictionaries to /usr/share/hunspell and hyphenation to /usr/share/hyphen. Your package should try to replicate Firefox's directory structure as closely as possible.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-02-07, 08:38

Ok, the path is now /usr/lib/palemoon. This made the "outside of a valid path" namcap errors disappear.
I added the icons (16,32,48,128 px) and changed the menu entry. I used install command and not symlink. This is how it's done in the firefox package, probably safer?
access2godzilla wrote:- It is preferable to have a XPM version of the icon in /usr/share/pixmaps/palemoon.xpm, and optionally a SVG version in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/palemoon.svg
Where would I get these? From MC? :)
access2godzilla wrote:As seen from the official Arch package, you should also symlink dictionaries to /usr/share/hunspell and hyphenation to /usr/share/hyphen.
If I do it the same way as in the firefox package:

# Use system-provided dictionaries
  rm -rf "$pkgdir"/usr/lib/firefox/{dictionaries,hyphenation}
  ln -s /usr/share/hunspell "$pkgdir/usr/lib/firefox/dictionaries"
  ln -s /usr/share/hyphen "$pkgdir/usr/lib/firefox/hyphenation"
It results to namcap errors (for both palemoon and firefox packages),

palemoon E: Symlink (usr/lib/palemoon/hyphenation) points to non-existing /usr/share/hyphen
palemoon E: Symlink (usr/lib/palemoon/dictionaries) points to non-existing /usr/share/hunspell
I don't have these folders on my system, although I have both hyphen and hunspell packages installed, but not any dictionaries for them. Should it still be done this way?

Also I noticed that the firefox package has less files due to omni.ja file: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... mni.jar%29
Should palemoon also use it?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-07, 10:20

jumba wrote:This is how it's done in the firefox package, probably safer?
I mainly use Debian, so I don't know much about Arch, but you can use whatever you like. The final package produced after running makepkg should be set up in this manner:

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/palemoon.png -> /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default16.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/palemoon.png -> /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default32.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/palemoon.png -> /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/palemoon.png -> /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
access2godzilla wrote:- It is preferable to have a XPM version of the icon in /usr/share/pixmaps/palemoon.xpm, and optionally a SVG version in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/palemoon.svg
Are they putting XPMs in the official Arch package? If not, no need, otherwise convert it with GIMP/Imagemagick etc. I'd recommend leaving out the SVGs.
It results to namcap errors (for both palemoon and firefox packages) ... I don't have these folders on my system, although I have both hyphen and hunspell packages installed, but not any dictionaries for them. Should it still be done this way?
namcap isn't the ultimate authority on determining the correctness of packages ;)
Symlinking is fine, and actually recommended, so that if people install hunspell/hyphen dictionaries, they'll work without any extra hassle in Pale Moon.
Also I noticed that the firefox package has less files due to omni.ja file: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... mni.jar%29
Should palemoon also use it?
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... =40#p20958
Anyway, PM's files compress better, and arch uses XZ-compressed packages, so the size of the packages produced is quite small.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-02-07, 12:13

access2godzilla wrote:Are they putting XPMs in the official Arch package? If not, no need, otherwise convert it with GIMP/Imagemagick etc. I'd recommend leaving out the SVGs.
No, I think I'll skip it too.

I tried to run the ldd for the *.so files and got these results. Those packages were also reported "as an uninstalled dependency" by namcap. Is there a problem with these?

libmozgnome.so: 
	libxul.so => not found
	libmozalloc.so => not found

libsoftokn3.so:
	libmozsqlite3.so => not found

libxul.so:
	libmozsqlite3.so => not found
	libmozalloc.so => not found
The firefox package also requires mozilla-common package that sets up an environment variable for plugins path,

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins"
Is this also needed and used by palemoon?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-07, 12:54

jumba wrote:I tried to run the ldd for the *.so files and got these results. Those packages were also reported "as an uninstalled dependency" by namcap. Is there a problem with these?
No. Those are already present in Pale Moon's own directory.

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins"
Is this also needed and used by palemoon?
I don't see any reason to define it like that. All NPAPI browsers search /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins before looking in the locations in "$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH", and it has been this way from the times of Netscape navigator.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-02-07, 13:34

Ok, I updated the first post with the new pkgbuild file and tarball.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-21, 10:11

I run namcap for the new build, and got some file permission warnings, should that "world readable bit" be set for these?

palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/modules) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/content) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin/pinstripe) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin/all) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin/winstripe) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin/gnomestripe) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/pl) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/kn-IN) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/es-ES) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/en-US) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/zh-TW) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/fi) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/en-GB) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/de) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/hu-HU) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/nl) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/it) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/ro-RO) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/sv-SE) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/ko-KR) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/pt-PT) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/ru) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/tr) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/es-MX) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/es-AR) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/fr) does not have the world readable bit set.
palemoon W: File (usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/zh-CN) does not have the world readable bit set.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-03-22, 09:09

Why? Aren't they already set in the archive? (AFK at present so I can't tell.)

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-22, 12:09

Don't ask me! Just something new the o'mighty namcap is showing me. :D

Here is the file permission output for the archive's directories in the statusbar@palemoon.org/:

drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome
drwxr-xr-x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/components
drwxr-xr-x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/defaults
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/modules
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/content
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/de
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/en-GB
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/en-US
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/es-AR
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/es-ES
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/es-MX
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/fi
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/fr
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/hu-HU
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/it
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/kn-IN
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/ko-KR
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/nl
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/pl
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/pt-PT
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/ro-RO
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/ru
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/sv-SE
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/tr
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/zh-CN
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/locale/zh-TW
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin/all
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin/gnomestripe
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin/pinstripe
drwx--x--x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/chrome/skin/winstripe
drwxr-xr-x src/palemoon/distribution/bundles/statusbar@palemoon.org/defaults/preferences
Seems that it warns about those directories that have only drwx--x--x permission and not drwxr-xr-x like e.g. the components dir has.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-22, 12:59

I did a new package but first removed the old source dir containing the files from archive and it is ok now..

I guess the old dir was the problem or something.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-22, 15:30

The source tree layout has changed in 24.4; that probably threw the packager off.