Installing Pale Moon on Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
sikotik13

Re: Installing Pale Moon on Linux

Unread post by sikotik13 » 2014-02-04, 23:41

First, I registered primarily to thank you access2godzilla, for this Linux version of my favorite browser.

Secondly, I appreciate nightwing's... issues, to a degree. I managed to figure out everything I was doing wrong until I got to the creation of the palemoon.desktop.

Perhaps there is some easily accessed way to tell me what I'm doing wrong, but usually it involves some significant time looking for something similar in various forums to hope someone actually answered the question I had. You explaining it to him made my day, so thank you again! (For the record, it never crossed my mind to try launching gedit from the terminal. I'm still fighting windows syndrome, it would seem)

fleabus

Unread post by fleabus » 2014-03-04, 01:25

Hi all!

First time install, on SolydK64, using the 64bit .tar.bz2 -- Followed the instructions on the wiki. Everything went well; got the .desktop file created, got the icon moved down to the panel, everything was going well until I tried to run Pale Moon from the terminal, or start it with the panel icon... PM starts, but then crashes as soon as I try to click (left or right) on the toolbar in order to begin setting up the browser, or if I try to click anywhere on the menubar.

I get the following messages in the terminal window (the actual crash is the ###!!! ABORT messages, then segfault) --

Code: Select all

fleabus@dv7-1270us ~ $ /opt/palemoon/palemoon

(process:7003): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed

(process:7003): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed

###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /home/a2g/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /home/a2g/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
Segmentation fault
fleabus@dv7-1270us ~ $ 
What have I done wrong? :oops:

Thanks in advance, for a wonderful project!

-- Dave

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-03-04, 02:22

@fleabus

Nice to have you on this forum.

When A2G sees your post, I'm sure he'll help you. Just wish I could, but I'm not knowledgeable enough.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

fleabus

Unread post by fleabus » 2014-03-04, 02:35

Hey Night Wing!

Yup, had to try it. I get the same errors with a local install running the executable from the folder in /home, or when runing it from the install in /opt. Deleted the ~/.moonchild productions folder and started over, letting it re-create the profile, but still no cigar. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm not letting it be the default browser... From the grasping at straws department... :lol:

Off to do some more reading...

-- Dave
Last edited by fleabus on 2014-03-04, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2014-03-04, 03:08

fleabus wrote:I get the following messages in the terminal window (the actual crash is the ###!!! ABORT messages, then segfault) --
I had something similar happen on my 64-bit SolydK system when I was using the oxygen-gtk theme. Can't remember off the top of my head if it was the same exact error. Go to System Settings > Application Appearance > GTK and look to see if "Select a GTK2 Theme" is set to "oxygen-gtk." If so, try selecting/applying a different GTK2 theme and see if that helps.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-03-04, 12:24

This isn't an installation problem, see here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 653#p22653

Also, have you tried latest FF ESR and FF Nightlies? (Although I don't think nightlies should be affected) ? Which Linux kernel and libc version are you using?

EDIT: Now I'm on antix, Linux 3.7.10 i686 and libc 2.17. I do get this error but this isn't interfering with the browser from starting.

fleabus

Unread post by fleabus » 2014-03-04, 14:14

access2godzilla wrote:This isn't an installation problem, see here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 653#p22653
Thanks A2G, I'll take a look there....
access2godzilla wrote:Also, have you tried latest FF ESR and FF Nightlies? (Although I don't think nightlies should be affected) ? Which Linux kernel and libc version are you using?
Haven't tried either of these either, this bears some looking into. Thanks again! :)

Code: Select all

fleabus@dv7-1270us ~ $ uname -a
Linux dv7-1270us 3.11-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.11.10-1 (2013-12-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux

fleabus@dv7-1270us ~ $ ldd --version
ldd (Debian EGLIBC 2.17-97) 2.17
access2godzilla wrote:EDIT: Now I'm on antix, Linux 3.7.10 i686 and libc 2.17. I do get this error but this isn't interfering with the browser from starting.
The browser starts. I can click on things in the bookmarks toolbar and bring up the pages. I can left-click in the address bar. If I right click, it crashes. I can't left or right click on the menu bar, this also causes the crash. Passin' strange. I will do some more research. Thank you for your help! :)

-- Dave

fleabus

Unread post by fleabus » 2014-03-04, 15:21

Nigaikaze wrote:Go to System Settings > Application Appearance > GTK and look to see if "Select a GTK2 Theme" is set to "oxygen-gtk." If so, try selecting/applying a different GTK2 theme and see if that helps.
Thank you! These theming issues really do seem to rear their ugly heads in the darndest places. I'll give this a try. Also gonna try it on SolydX64 when I get a chance... :)

-- Dave

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2014-03-04, 18:47

fleabus wrote:The browser starts. I can click on things in the bookmarks toolbar and bring up the pages. I can left-click in the address bar. If I right click, it crashes. I can't left or right click on the menu bar, this also causes the crash. Passin' strange. I will do some more research. Thank you for your help! :)
You're welcome. Yes, those were the exact symptoms I was having. From the research I did before, I suspected it was due to a bug in the gtk2-engines-oxygen package. It looks like SolydXK/Debian only has version 1.4.0 available, and 1.4.2 includes a fix for "serious crash in many application like eclipse, libreoffice and other, when mouse-over toolbars and menus." I was going to try downloading and building the current version (1.4.3) to see if that fixes it, but I haven't had time to do that yet.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

fleabus

Unread post by fleabus » 2014-03-04, 19:47

Nigaikaze wrote:a bug in the gtk2-engines-oxygen package. It looks like SolydXK/Debian only has version 1.4.0 available, and 1.4.2 includes a fix for "serious crash in many application like eclipse, libreoffice and other,
Interesting! Thank you for that heads-up.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-03-10, 10:09

Sorry for creating any confusion; but the gslice bug occurs with libglib >= 2.35 and not libc, which is what I've been telling people to check.

It appears that on some systems the aforementioned bug causes fatal Firefox crashes. It should be also noted that Firefox nightlies still produce the error.

ComputerLuvr

Unread post by ComputerLuvr » 2014-04-30, 16:46

Very, very happy with having Pale Moon for Linux.
All these posts have been very, very helpful. :)