Incorrect capitalisation of StartupWMClass desktop file entry

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
OPNA2608
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Incorrect capitalisation of StartupWMClass desktop file entry

Unread post by OPNA2608 » 2021-04-29, 11:44

The StartupWMClass entry of the official branding has the wrong capitalisation. It's "pale moon" in the desktop file, but running

Code: Select all

xprop WM_CLASS
on a Pale Moon window gives me:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Pale moon"
I haven't checked if elementary OS (who develop the DE & dock application fork) behaves the same but on NixOS with the Pantheon DE enabled, this causes the dock to not properly associate Pale Moon windows with the palemoon.desktop entry. I currently hack this in my packaging with

substituteInPlace ./palemoon/branding/official/palemoon.desktop \
      --replace 'StartupWMClass="pale moon"' 'StartupWMClass=Pale moon'
and that fixes the dock problems for me. Iunno if the problem is with Pantheon / the dock doing a case-sentive WM_CLASS property check when they really shouldn't or everyone else just being more lenient in their matching than the specs require them to (it's prolly the former?), but it's such a small fix that I can't imagine it having any downsides.

I'll provide screengrabs of stock & fixed behaviour this evening. I'm currently not on my system with the affected DE - I'm just bumping our package to the new release, remembered that I applied that fix awhile ago & figured I should report it since it seems to work fine with the limited testing that I've done.

OPNA2608
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Incorrect capitalisation of StartupWMClass desktop file entry

Unread post by OPNA2608 » 2021-04-29, 20:59

It's actually more than just the lowercase p, it's the extra quotation marks as well. I have built 4 isolated packages, the only difference between them being the StartupWMClass setting in their share/applications/palemoon.desktop file:

A: "pale moon" (what's being shipped in your repo)
B: Pale moon (what I've fixed it to)
C: "Pale moon"
D: pale moon
  1. I uninstalled my current Pale Moon package from my system and scrubbed all local application overrides related to it. Then I logged out & back into my desktop to make the DE rescan the desktop file related paths. Searching "Pale Moon" in my applications list yielded no results.
  2. I installed package A. I logged out & back in, searched for Pale Moon. I dragged it from my applications list to my dock and launched it from there.
    The first Pale Moon icon is the desktop file I pinned to my tab, the second one with the blue dot on the bottom is the Pale Moon window that was launched + an indicator for the amount of windows associated with that application.
  3. I removed the pin from my dock, uninstalled this package from my system, scrubbed everything again, logged out & back in. Pale Moon was now gone from my list again.
  4. I installed package B next, relogged in, pinned the search result to my dock.
    Note that this time, there is only 1 Pale Moon icon on the dock & the window indicator is under it.
  5. I verified this result by uninstalling & reinstalling the B package again (+ all the scrubbing & relogging): Pin<->Window association still works.
  6. I then sanity checked by uninstalling & reinstalling the A package (+ all the scrubbing & relogging): Pin was broken and gave me 2 Pale Moon icons on my dock.
  7. I next tested packages C and D, and both of them resulted in broken pins.
So I think changing that value to Pale moon would be the right fix. I'm curious though, can anyone else replicate such a problem on their Pantheon DE, or any other DE? Or does the fixed value cause any problems on another DE perhaps?