Silencing Multi-Tabset Collections (Solved)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cosmo666

Silencing Multi-Tabset Collections (Solved)

Unread post by cosmo666 » 2021-04-14, 19:10

FYI, degraded PaleMoon performance due to hyper-active technical support tab sets...

As one who tends to have a half-dozen or so tech-info support sites open much of the time, my frustration levels had been increasing steadily, due to more programming tech related sites appearing, most of which seem to prioritize ad-related background activity. It had gotten so bad, I was finding myself waiting 30-60 seconds just to switch from one tab to another. I use an add-on called 'Tab-Set Saver', which I find extremely valuable, since it enables me to save a variety of search results focusing on a particular subject, and easily reload them all. (Example: password optional ssh login scenarios, of which there are many.) I guess this solution should have been obvious. I installed a 'Toggle Javascript' add-on, turned off Javascript, loaded a tab-set with over a dozen URL refs, and it came right up, with all the text-contact intact, but zero background activity, i.e. 'silenced'. If I need to, I can easily toggle JS back on, reload, whatever. No big deal, just figured I'd post this in case anyone else is still struggling with this issue.
(All my platforms are Linux, so can't say this works on others.)

Apropos Palemoon generally, kudos to the developers for continuing to set such a great example supporting
and intelligently bringing this distro along FBO regular users. Meanwhile the larger 'Browser Oligarchs'
find ways to disrupt and confuse their users. I still keep a copy of Chrome and FFOX around 'just in case:
typically, Chrome for YouTube, and FFOX for some banks or government agencies. For the other 90%,
Palemoon is the Goto Choice.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Silencing Multi-Tabset Collections (Solved)

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-14, 19:28

cosmo666 wrote:
2021-04-14, 19:10
I use an add-on called 'Tab-Set Saver', which I find extremely valuable, since it enables me to save a variety of search results focusing on a particular subject, and easily reload them all.
You might like to upgrade to the new Pale Moon fork of TSS: Tabs To Portfolio.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

cosmo666

Re:Tabs to Portfolio/Minor Feature Inquiry (no problem)

Unread post by cosmo666 » 2021-05-31, 21:10

I would like to thank the author of Tabset Saver for providing a compatible update for the current version of PaleMoon.

Is there an easy way to save the currently open tabs in their current form (allowing for having closed some, and added some new ones), to an original master file (lets say, a filename based on the user-entered Tab Portfolio Name), which effectively replaces the original portfolio.html file with a new one which does not depend upon the original tab-set title page? Possibly by stipulating that by providing a portfolio name, the default behavior is to overwrite the original portfolio master with only the currently listed tabs?

Just a suggestion. Outstanding add-on, thanks again!
(I think I can kludge this with a perl script, but thought I'd ask.)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Silencing Multi-Tabset Collections (Solved)

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-01, 01:00

You may have to dig around in the Classic Addons Archive or the archived version of Mozilla addons (pre 2017) for an older extension that does what you're describing and see if its license permits forking (any open source license will.)
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX