Flash on Palemoon in 2021

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Yzrch

Flash on Palemoon in 2021

Unread post by Yzrch » 2021-03-22, 04:10

Hello! I'm brand new to Palemoon, running Galliumos (an ubuntu and debian based dist of Linux) on a chromebook. I just got Palemoon to work, and I am wondering, how can I get Flash to work so I can play Neopets games (I'm old fashioned I know) on Palemoon? I know a distribution of Flash AFTER 32.0.0.371 has a TIMEBOMB in it to make flash stop working. I have an index of downloadable flash tar.gz, .deb, and .dsc files right here http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... n-nonfree/ but I don't know how to even begin getting a .dsc, tar.gz, or .deb file to work from the binary on my machine as I am somewhat of a novice at using the terminal.

Can anyone please guide me step by step through downloading and getting to work flash on my Palemoon browser?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Flash on Palemoon in 2021

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-22, 06:32

Search the forum before repeating a query that's been asked several times already. :roll:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-03-22, 06:37

Use the DEB files from there: ftp://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/pool ... ashplugin/

These include Adobe Flash and aren't only an installer.

Just pick the correct package for your architecture and install it via dpkg.

Code: Select all

lscpu #prints CPU and OS architecture
sudo apt install /home/user/Downloads/flash.deb ##Path nees to be changed
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2021-03-24, 00:36

There's the 'FlashPoint' project from BlueMaxima; this was started to specifically provide a way of archiving & playing all those 1000s of 'oldie but goodie' Flash games of yesteryear. They spent the whole of 2020, and a good part of 2019 downloading and archiving as many games as possible.

For those situations where specific websites have their game libraries 'locked' to their site, FlashPoint will run the FlashPlayer through a proxy server; this way, the game thinks it's still running on the site it's locked to, where in fact it's actually running through the FlashPlayer in the Electron app on your local machine. (Flashpoint is an Electron-based 'desktop client', y'see.)

However, I wouldn't like to say if you could run it the way your Chromebook seems to be set up; although I've certainly heard of GalliumOS, I've never had any reason to try it. If interested, you could always take a look:-

https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/

No guarantees, mind. You'll also need a basic CLI install of the PHP programming language for this to work in anything Linux-related.

Mike. ;)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-03-24, 18:21

First, I hope that's an X86 and not an ARM-based Chromebook.

How the heck do you mate Debian with Ubuntu to get GalliumOS? If we want an Ubuntu-only package in Debian-based MX Linux, we have to port it over from the Ubuntu's debianized source code and change anything that's not compatible, such as changing those "universe" type sections to Debian ones.

curiosity
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by curiosity » 2021-03-25, 18:59

Pentium4User wrote:
2021-03-22, 06:37
Use the DEB files from there: ftp://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/pool ... ashplugin/

As you may see from the file size, those are killer stub packages. They don't contain Flash player.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-03-25, 19:16

curiosity wrote:
2021-03-25, 18:59
Pentium4User wrote:
2021-03-22, 06:37

As you may see from the file size, those are killer stub packages. They don't contain Flash player.
Oh, I see, in the control file included in the package it says it is just a meta package to ensure the removal of Flash.

That should be fine: http://web.archive.org/web/202012292230 ... ashplugin/
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.