Pale Moon (Linux) consuming 100% of CPU core, won't relinquish unless app closed. Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Pale Moon (Linux) consuming 100% of CPU core, won't relinquish unless app closed.

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-03-02, 21:57

The thread is too old for me to edit the title of the thread, but I've accepted vannilla's answer to mark this as solved.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Pale Moon (Linux) consuming 100% of CPU core, won't relinquish unless app closed.

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-03-09, 14:50

Well, it happens MUCH less, but I've still had this issue crop up a bit.

For example, it's happening right now.

I'll probably just have to work around it for now.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-03-09, 15:55

It seems restoring my previous tabs is making things worse (obviously). If I close Pale Moon with the 7 tabs I had open when experiencing 100% CPU usage, and then close/relaunch PM, I'm immediately back where I started with 100% CPU usage.
I guess I'll have to turn that off, and maybe try to set up more than a single home page (I need 5 tabs open almost constantly for work).

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-03-09, 16:36

If you can see that the browser is using hardware acceleration, then the CPU spikes might be caused by the websites themselves.
It can be quite heavy if you are in of those horrid places which use animated GIFs instead of videos (think of code-hosting websites like Github where people put many "videos" showcasing some feature) or just programmed poorly.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-03-12, 13:40

I'm pretty sure you're right that it is caused by some horrid web sites.

The problem is so prevalent now, I've marked this as unsolved again, and am here to report it happens almost immediately upon opening my browser now.
I do have 6 tabs automatically open when I launch Pale Moon, and maybe it is one of them.

1) Trello (opens to our Kanban board)
2) Google Calendar (opens to a month view)
3) Basecamp (opens to our home forum)
4) HelpScout (opens to our dashboard)
5) GitHub (opens to our repository issue list)
6) The well-behaved web site I am developing (opens to the simple login page)

I guess I could try to isolate which one is the culprit. Although it might just be a combination. I'll report back when I have more info. This is starting to become comical. :P

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-03-12, 16:44

Not sure about your specific case, but some Google services would make my pc's fan spin, e.g. the spreadsheet service.
Thankfully I don't use them normally, but there are times where I end up there for one reason or another, and I always hear the fan going.
You might want, at least while testing things so not every moment, to visit only one of those sites at a time, meaning when you need to go to e.g. the calendar, instead of opening a new tab you use e.g. basecamp's tab.
I know it's not ideal, but if the CPU usage goes up only when one of those specific sites is being visited, you will find the culprit.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-03-17, 13:04

I did what you said vannilla and I've narrowed it down to GitHub (only usable because of the GitHub Web Components PolyFill extension).
It happens during scrolling, and I caught the issue in the console. It is a scroll positioning effect, for sure. I will look into it more later on as I have time.

Here is the URL in the error message so no one has to re-type it: https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozi ... kedEffects

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-17, 14:11

Meaning people should stop manually repositioning elements with JS upon scrolling because it's very CPU intensive, and use the CSS keywords for it that have been around for a looooong time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-03-17, 20:04

I've submitted a bug report in where I believe is the correct place: https://github.community/t/github-scrol ... sed/168703

And this one always seems relevant: https://motherfuckingwebsite.com

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-03-17, 23:18

Okay, this is spooky.
The console error for GitHub still exists, but I'm not seeing the poor CPU behavior any more.
I'll give it a few more days but it was like clockwork before, and now, nothing...

Stay tuned.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-03-18, 12:43

It seems this issue might not actually be related to GitHub scrolling.

I have reproduced the issue right now with no error on GitHub, for a page that I never scrolled and has no scroll bar. I'll update the bug report.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-07-21, 20:04

It is possible this issue no longer exists. I’m not sure if GitHub is behaving better or what, but I’ve had a couple GitHub tabs open for a few days now and still have normal CPU usage. This would have been impossible before.

I've updated the GitHub ticket with this information as well.