Adblock for Youtube

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
14themoon

Adblock for Youtube

Unread post by 14themoon » 2021-01-26, 19:06

I would like to know if there is a version of Adblock for Youtube that is compatible with Pale Moon. Most are geared to Chrome or Firefox. Thanks for your help!

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Adblock for Youtube

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2021-01-26, 19:18

Adblock for YT I don't know, maybe try here: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/
personally I have been using UBO (uBlock Origin) and I see zero ads, pretty much everywhere. Also using eMatrix.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-27, 02:01

Block doubleclick.net and all its subdomains in your adblocker of choice. There's no need to look for anything special for Youtube in particular.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2021-01-27, 03:20

If Easylist for some reason can't or failed to block Google's ads on Youtube, try adding any one of the following filters:

https://www.github.developerdan.com/hosts/lists/ads-and-tracking-extended.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/notracking/hosts-blocklists/master/hostnames.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anudeepND/blacklist/master/adservers.txt

There are 3 adblockers currently compatible with Pale Moon: Adblock Latitude, ABPrime and uBlock Origin (Legacy)
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-01-30, 04:04

I use UBO in all my browsers, including PM.

What are these "youtube ads" you speak of? :D

Geralt

Unread post by Geralt » 2021-05-22, 20:25

Since the question wasn't really answered I'm going to try again.

I personally don't want adblock for all sites. Only for Youtube and Youtube Music. Because that's the only Site where the ads got really annoying lately. I don't know if it changed but all Adblock Extensions I've used so far, you could only exclude sites, not block only specific sites.

I have tried those blocklists already, and they'd mostly block anything. Trying to get everything with doubleclick out is nearly impossible. Over 1000 results..
For Chrome there is an Adblock Extension only for Youtube.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-22, 23:30

Geralt wrote:
2021-05-22, 20:25
Since the question wasn't really answered I'm going to try again.
Since you haven't previously posted in this topic (or on the forum as a whole for that matter) I'm wondering what you are talking about here with "try again". Are you maintaining multiple accounts on this forum? If so, why?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Geralt

Unread post by Geralt » 2021-05-23, 11:23

Why would I create multiple Account? Obviously I did not.

I just felt like the question of the thread creator wasn't really answered..
I'm not a native speaker, maybe I wrote that a bit unfortunate.

I thought it would be better than creating a new topic.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-05-23, 20:12

If you want to block ads on one site only, you could use an adblocker but have no filter lists enabled, then add / create custom filter rules for the site in question so it would start with youtube.com for example?
This also does it without using an adblocker at all, using the guerillascript add on, which is a tampermonkey / greasemonkey type thing that injects user javascript, in this case to skip the ads and close the ad windows that appear on the videos, basically it should just automate those click actions for you:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/40687 ... ds-updated
You need to save the script to the dir in your profile which might be something like .moonchild productions/pale moon/123xyzprofile/guerillajs/scripts/scriptname.js
If the youtube site changes that might stop working, then perhaps the author will provide an updated version or you can look for something else. There are lots of scripts on that site if you use it's search function, not all currently work so ymmv at any point in time.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-24, 00:49

Lunokhod wrote:
2021-05-23, 20:12
You need to save the script to the dir in your profile which might be something like .moonchild productions/pale moon/123xyzprofile/guerillajs/scripts/scriptname.js
You have to do that manually? Greasemonkey lets you directly click and install userscripts.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-24, 09:50

Well obviously GreaseMonkey and Guerilla Scripting are designed for different use cases. Guerilla Scripting is designed for power users who want more control on how scripts are installed, and don't need/want a GUI to install scripts.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-24, 10:10

Something more macho about manually copying a userscript to your profile directory instead of installing it directly, as though there's a choice where you can install it or doing it this way somehow lets you do something you can't with Greasemonkey? :wtf:

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-24, 10:17

Well since the userscript installation is manual in Guerilla Scripting, you can setup some cron script I guess? Maybe you only want the userscript to be active in certain times, and disable it after that. You can have a script automating that.

It might be possible in GreaseMonkey as well, but the automated script might conflict with the extension somehow. In Guerilla Scripting, you'd be sure that it won't conflict at all.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

macus

Unread post by macus » 2021-05-25, 02:28

With uBlockOrigin you can block all the ads on YT with a single click, and leave other sites unaffected, once you read up on how to use it. It's very simple.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-25, 04:34

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-05-24, 10:17
but the automated script might conflict with the extension somehow
Why should it conflict with GM and not GS when both extensions save scripts to subdirectories under the profile directory? User scripts are already a power user feature and simply not bothering to offer a decent user interface doesn't automatically gain street cred. This is like the boomer generation of programmers who cut their teeth on mainframes in the 70s, some of whom used to scoff at GUIs when Windows 3.x was a thing, and insist the commandline was always superior.

wickedsp1d3r
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by wickedsp1d3r » 2021-05-26, 15:33

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-05-24, 09:50
Well obviously GreaseMonkey and Guerilla Scripting are designed for different use cases. Guerilla Scripting is designed for power users who want more control on how scripts are installed, and don't need/want a GUI to install scripts.
I think Guerilla Scriping is currently abandoned (?). It caused problems as it does not support @match metadata for example (@include is supported).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-26, 16:37

It is abandoned AND was an expert tool for tinkerers NOT as a replacement for Greasemonkey.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-05-26, 20:08

Both Guerilla Scripting and Greasemonkey are on the Pale Moon add ons site and neither has been updated since summer 2018. If there's more up to date forks about they aren't being used. Greasemonkey is an 'external' add on that has been modified for Pale Moon so perhaps you couldn't use another fork easily even if it was newer.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-27, 00:20

Greasemonkey works fine. Just because Google invented rabid release doesn't mean every piece of software has to be updated all the time when it already is functioning well. There are tons of extensions on the addon site that haven't been updated in years and don't need to because the XUL/Javascript platform is extremely stable and doesn't break addons with constant API or UI changes.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-27, 00:33

I wish someone would fork it.. resolve the lack of devtools and target it properly at Borealis. As it stands I have a modified version of a modified version I modified that HALF works.

HONESTLY I just wish someone would create a generic script injector skeleton extension likely working out exactly how jetpack can do content scripts but as bootstrap sans jetpack just drop, zip, done.

AND NO JustOff's polyfill is too convoluted to work out a base.