Some html5 animations cause extreme CPU load in Xorg

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Some html5 animations cause extreme CPU load in Xorg

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2020-10-19, 10:20

The issue is particularly severe on https://www.lordswm.com, especially on some event pages like https://www.lordswm.com/leader_rogues.php (This is an event page, it will be gone in a few days). The severity of the issue varies as you progress through the event - at the beginning around level 1 Xorg has ~80% CPU load and page is somewhat laggy but works, but around level 20 Xorg load goes to 100%, and palemoon takes 5-10s to react to any click, even on the menus, not only on page itself, and entire system become very laggy. Palemoon CPU usage itself is not very high on this page, 30-40%. I think it has something to do with the "fog/steam" animation effect.

I reported this issue before https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20966&p=157073, it becomes really severe on event pages in this game from time to time, but its not strictly limited to this game. Github 404 page animation causes 60-80% load in Xorg when you move mouse around it.

P.S. This maybe be unique to Nvidia drivers, i dont have non-nvidia system to test.

P.P.S. This steam effect is really bad, on windows it causes 100% load in palemoon, and it causes 200% (2 chrome processes at 100% at 2 cores) load in chrome on both linux and windows, but Xorg load is only ~20% with chrome. Firefox handles its best on linux with 80% load in FF and 35% in Xorg. So the issue with palemoon on linux is that its offloads all of this to Xorg and causes entire system to become very laggy.
Last edited by Harkonnen on 2020-10-19, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Some html5 animations cause extreme CPU load in Xorg

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-10-19, 11:07

Harkonnen wrote:
2020-10-19, 10:20
The issue is particularly severe on www.lordswm.com, especially on some event pages like https://www.lordswm.com/leader_rogues.php (This is an event page, it will be gone in a few days).
When I clicked on your "first link" above using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.14.2, it gives me a 404 page error with the an incorrect address and which does not allow me to copy and paste to show you in my reply message to you.

I think you made an error when you made the first address link in your message.

But when I click on the second link (with the word "leader" in it), it sends me to a page with this address: https://www.lordswm.com/

And that page renders properly. I even surfed around on the page using the buttons and everything worked fine for me.

At this time, I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.14.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce. And I have a AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card in this desktop computer I'm using.

I used to have an Nvidia graphics card, but I found the Nvidia graphics drivers to be "buggy" in this computer when dealing with linux distros so I got rid of the Nvidia graphics card in 2013.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2020-10-19, 11:19

Night Wing wrote:
2020-10-19, 11:07

But when I click on the second link (with the word "leader" in it), it sends me to a page with this address: https://www.lordswm.com/

And that page renders properly. I even surfed around on the page using the buttons and everything worked fine for me.
Obviously, you have to create an account to see the actual event page, it will redirect you to login page otherwise.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-10-19, 11:25

Harkonnen wrote:
2020-10-19, 11:19
Obviously, you have to create an account to see the actual event page, it will redirect you to login page otherwise.
Obviously, it would have been nice of you to mention that "first" in your first message.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-19, 14:33

Obviously, some web page designs assume you have full hardware acceleration in your browser which you might not have if the time is spent in xorg and loads the CPU.
Nothing to be done about that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2020-10-19, 15:03

Considering that this page causes palemoon to use 100% CPU on windows, but only 30-40% on linux, it does seems that it tries to offload to hardware, but it doesnt work and end up in CPU usage in Xorg. Can i force palemoon to software rendering? I tried searching, and found gfx.xrender.enabled. Disabling it does fix Xorg CPU usage on that page, but it causes all html5 elements to flicker constantly, so its not a fix.