Siren/ Alarm intermittent

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
elmer

Siren/ Alarm intermittent

Unread post by elmer » 2020-10-15, 21:46

My Thinkpad W530 is intermittently wailing out a siren sound like 'drrrrrrrrrahhhhhhhh' 'drrrrrrrrrahhhhhhhh' 'drrrrrrrrrahhhhhhhh' . It always is 3 siren sounds and very intermittent, but recently I've discovered that if I close down Palemoon (28.14.2) immediately, the siren sound halts instantly. I have done many memory checks using Memtest86 under Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon with no errors showing up. The only extension I'm using is Tab Groups 0.4, and the theme I'm using is Dark Moon 2.5.1. Can anyone explain why Pale Moon appears to be doing this?
Thanks

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Siren/ Alarm intermittent

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-15, 23:18

What the devil?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-15, 23:45

Pale Moon does not include a "drrrahhhhhh" siren sound :D so it must be something else.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-15, 23:48

Have you tried in safe mode? :wtf: :wtf:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-16, 00:21

You say you only have one extension. That is not an adblocker. Could some noisy ad in rotation from sites you visit frequently be blaring at you?

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-10-16, 09:36

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-15, 23:45
Pale Moon does not include a "drrrahhhhhh" siren sound :D
May I make a formal feature request? ;)

If Pale Moon detects abnormal usage behaviour that might be indicative of computer hijacking, it can have a siren go off to warn anyone who might be physically present in the vicinity of the personal computer!
Last edited by Tharthan on 2020-10-16, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2020-10-16, 09:46

Is it not perhaps your CPU fan ?

I have noted the fan spinning up quite regularly on the home laptop (which is rather memory limited) when CPU, swap and paging all rise (as seen by procmeter3). This might occur with palemoon on some script-intensive sites (I won't blame the browser but the sites), but also on a pdf viewer, or if a text editor crashes (I have one which seems sometimes to respond badly to touchpad "mousing" ... the editor becomes unresponsive leaving behind a "defunct" process). As soon as I kill such process, the fan goes back to normal.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-10-16, 09:54

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-16, 00:21
Could some noisy ad in rotation from sites you visit frequently be blaring at you?
If he were using Windows, I would have wondered if he may have gotten a virus.

Not that GNU/Linux is immune from viruses. But the kind of virus that I am thinking of is infinitely more common to find targetting Windows.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2020-10-16, 15:38

Is the sound actually coming out of the speakers or is it coming from the hardware (aka, can you mute your computer and make it not happen)?

Can you record a video of it using a phone or something?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-10-16, 15:41

hard drive sending out an SOS possibly.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-10-16, 23:05

Moonraker wrote:
2020-10-16, 15:41
hard drive sending out an SOS possibly.
Almost impossible if it's a solid state drive -- if it's one of the models with a spinning rust hard drive then it's possible. If the latter it could just be that the disk is doing SMART tests while the system is idle, and the drive gets used by Pale Moon when you reach to close Pale Moon. See https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w530/ for the technical specs of the system.

I couldn't find anything obvious from looking over the technical documents for the machine. Is the sound the loudest from only the extreme right of the computer, or the left and right? The latter would indicate it's a nuisance eminating from the speakers. The former would indicate it's the fan roaring.

Like most laptops, this system does not have a discrete system alert speaker like a lot of desktop systems do.

Ah, good question, is the battery running low, by any chance?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-17, 00:29

You're not helping The Squish. In fact I am not sure ANY of you are. What I said prevails as the ONLY one that has any sort of possibility of it being in ANYWAY WAY related to Pale Moon and I would like an answer to it from the OP.

So everyone else, hush.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-10-17, 18:55

Well, I hope this can help: auto mechanics can use a stethoscope to help locate the source of a mysterious sound in the engine compartment. If you don't have one of those, you can substitute a rolled paper tube for your computer. You can also see if photos or diagrams of your machine's innards are available on the Net if you do localize the sound to anything but a speaker, and it's difficult to open the machine.

elmer

Unread post by elmer » 2020-10-18, 00:02

The siren sound is very intermittent, only once or twice a day and sometimes 2 or 3 days in between occurrences. Like I said, a couple of times the siren came on while I was at the keyboard and was able to immediately shut down Palemoon and the siren stopped instantly before the third siren. I can't rule out any of my open tabs (about 20) as being the source of a rotating ad, but I can work on that by eliminating all tabs. Coincidentally, 3 days ago Palemoon crashed out on me and I lost all my tabs. A new profile was generated when I reloaded Palemoon, however, I was able to modify the .ini file to read my old profile and that worked for all my settings and history, but the tabs were lost so I used the History to rebuild the lost tabs and also bookmark them.

Just an hour ago I left palemoon and the computer in idle mode as I had a meal and the sirens went off. I immediately checked the 'sensors' and found all temperatures were at minimum values and the fan speed was 0. Moreover, the sirens definitely go through the speakers as I can hear the sirens in the headphones.

Still a mystery!!

PS. AC power cord is always plugged into the laptop.

Tohuwabohuix
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2020-10-18, 01:46

elmer wrote:
2020-10-18, 00:02
Still a mystery!!
Spooky! Maybe you live in a haunted house. Hire a ghost hunter. Could there be one here in the forum ? :lol:

P.S.: My humble guess: the ghosts sneak out of the power socket, crawl through the cable and haunt your laptop :idea:

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-10-18, 09:35

Off-topic:
I eagerly await a Pale Moon creepypasta.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-18, 10:23

Off-topic:
Tharthan wrote:
2020-10-18, 09:35
I eagerly await a Pale Moon creepypasta.
We can't have those anymore.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-10-18, 10:27

Maybe the OP should get his hearing checked...?..ringing in the ears can be quite common so maybe now we have sirens in our tympanums.!...you never know. :lol:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-10-18, 17:47

In that incident where you were at the computer when the siren occurred: Did a speaker icon appear in any of the tabs? That would indicate which tab is the culprit.

elmer

Unread post by elmer » 2020-10-18, 20:29

The Squash wrote:
2020-10-18, 17:47
In that incident where you were at the computer when the siren occurred: Did a speaker icon appear in any of the tabs? That would indicate which tab is the culprit.
I have checked that aspect and no, there is no speaker icon appearing.