Associating the mailto: protocol Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
francesco bat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Associating the mailto: protocol

Unread post by francesco bat » 2020-10-14, 11:20

Hi!
I associated content "mailto" to Claws-Mail in Palemoon preferences, but it doesn't work.
Has someone experience about and how to solve?
Bye
Francesco bat
Last edited by Moonchild on 2020-10-14, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use descriptive topic titles.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Associating the mailto: protocol

Unread post by therube » 2020-10-14, 16:11

What does happen when you click a mailto: link?
What OS?

arkaland
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by arkaland » 2020-10-14, 16:33

:) francesco: I ran into that situation quite a while back. I solved it with a very simple 2-line script, which I'm attaching here:
mailto.gz
(61 Bytes) Downloaded 22 times
As you'll see, it couldn't be simpler, but it works (with plain Sylpheed) flawlessly. Before you can use it, check that your shell is Bash or plain sh -- if not, you should know how to modify Line 1. As far as the script itself, you WILL need to change "sylpheed" to the appropriate command for Claws-Mail.

francesco bat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by francesco bat » 2020-10-14, 20:44

arkaland wrote:
2020-10-14, 16:33
:) francesco: I ran into that situation quite a while back. I solved it with a very simple 2-line script, which I'm attaching here:
mailto.gz
As you'll see, it couldn't be simpler, but it works (with plain Sylpheed) flawlessly. Before you can use it, check that your shell is Bash or plain sh -- if not, you should know how to modify Line 1. As far as the script itself, you WILL need to change "sylpheed" to the appropriate command for Claws-Mail.
Thank you!
I tried in this way but doesn't work.
The problem is that it doesn't happen nothing after click in mailto.
The strange thing is that if i set Mailto in "mode question", if i click in a mailto it doesn't happen nothing :?
Bye
Francesco bat

arkaland
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by arkaland » 2020-10-15, 18:08

:ugeek: I really don't know what you mean by "mode question" (I never even heard of that). First of all, make sure the script is executable and place it in your path. Do NOT rename it -- just leave it "maito". Then go into the Application section of your Pale Moon Preferences, and look for "mailto" under "Content Type". Over on the right side will be "Actions". Under Actions enter "Use mailto".
If you cannot enter it in the "Preferences" itself, then you'll need to search for "mailto" in "about:config". Be sure to check your Claws-Mail documentation for the proper syntax in the script itself -- once Pale Moon knows to use "maito", the script itself will activate Claws-Mail.

francesco bat
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by francesco bat » 2020-10-15, 19:55

Thank you.
Solved in about:config.
I don't know why, but the option:
network.protocol-handler.external.mailto
was set in false.
Setting it in true now it works ;)
Bye
Francesco bat

P.S. The option "mode question" i mean "chiedi ogni volta" option in italian language and i translated in my own way :D :D :D

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2020-10-16, 09:08

It is "always ask" in the default english version of palemoon.
Off-topic:
PS: personally I always hated browsers which also deal with e-mail. I never click on mailto links to trigger a mailer (eventually I cut-and-paste the address). While I do the other way round (click on URL in mail messages to view them in palemoon, or redirect html attachments, normally filtered out, to the browser.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)