Pale Moon doesn't see USB smart card reader. Help.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rev_b

Pale Moon doesn't see USB smart card reader. Help.

Unread post by rev_b » 2020-10-12, 09:25

Hi there.

I need a Browser with NPAPI plugin support as I have to login into a site (https://pem.min-saude.pt/) that requires java support and smart card reader code.
Pale Moon seemed perfect, and java works indeed (installed oracle java and made a link to ~/.mozilla).

However the middleware for smart card reader support (national identity card - this one https://pluginautenticacaogov.azureedge ... ao-gov.deb) doesn't seem to work, as I try to login it says a smart card reader is not detected.

This plugin does work fine with latest firefox and Chrome/Brave.

I'm using Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Pale Moon doesn't see USB smart card reader. Help.

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-10-13, 20:08

When I go to the site with a java plugin enabled it asks to run a script, if I say yes I can press the button to read the card, as it is no longer greyed out. It can't find a card though as I don't have one. I downloaded the deb into a new empty directory as this next bit will dump files everywhere, (be careful running these commands, although I can't imagine they are going to cause too many problems but who knows) and extracted it with:
$ ar -x plugin-autenticacao-gov.deb
$ tar -xvzf data.tar.gz
$ tar -xvzf control.tar.gz
This looked interesting:
usr/share/applications/plugin-autenticacao-gov.desktop
Exec=/usr/bin/java -Dsun.java2d.xrender=false -jar /usr/share/plugin-autenticacao-gov/plugin-autenticacao-gov.jar sj
When I ran that with my java from java in /opt/java, not my OS package java, like this:
$ /opt/java/jre1.8.0_241/bin/java -Dsun.java2d.xrender=false -jar usr/share/plugin-autenticacao-gov/plugin-autenticacao-gov.jar sj
a little window came up asking sim / nao for permission so it did something anyway. Now if I run it again with that or my system java in /usr/bin/java it just runs and no window appears, so that permission is stored now, probably in .java somewhere.
I suppose you could try running it manually and giving permission. It just seemed to keep running until I hit CTRL C. Perhaps you could also try to start it running manually before you went to the site as well, or quickly start it before the site times out after the first bit? I'm not using a deb based distro so couldn't easily install it. The components do something anyway, but I don't have a card reader or card.
I also just noticed running the last bit creates an applet on the desktop taskbar which is blue with a C on it, you can right click it and run various things including a diagnostics menu, although that went online and gave an untrusted connection warning, you'd probably be safe to go past that in this case, the page just told me the plugin version :
Versão: 2.0.50
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

rev_b

Unread post by rev_b » 2020-10-13, 20:58

Hi there

I get the message "plugin already started".
I killed the process and run that line again, plugin just started, but Pale Moon still doesn't see card reader.

Brave/Chrome and Firefox have no issues interacting with the card via the plugin, but as they don't support java in any way, this particular site that I need doesn't work.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-10-14, 02:17

According to this page:
https://autenticacao.gov.pt/fa/ajuda/Au ... GovPT.aspx
the Java plugin approach has been replaced. So possibly you could try an older version of the card reader software that supported Java plugins (if it still worked, and you could find it somewhere) to interact with this site, which is presumably using an older approach itself. There is some troubleshooting info but I'm not sure it is relevant, as your setup seems to be working elsewhere. If this site is actively being used one could guess the people logging in might be using old outdated operating systems and software to do so.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...