Pale Moon downloaded from palemoon.org worked fine, but compiled from source can`t load any site

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Aleksandr

Pale Moon downloaded from palemoon.org worked fine, but compiled from source can`t load any site

Unread post by Aleksandr » 2020-10-04, 18:15

Pale Moon(palemoon-28.14.2.linux-x86_64.tar.xz) downloaded from palemoon.org worked fine, but compiled(the same version) from source can`t load any site with security issue
Attachments
palemoon-error.png
Troubleshooting Information.pdf
(70.49 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon downloaded from palemoon.org worked fine, but compiled from source can`t load any site

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-04, 20:05

Quite likely a build configuration mistake.
Please post your mozconfig used as well as the output of about:buildconfig (screenshot of the latter is fine and easier than a pdf)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Aleksandr

Re: Pale Moon downloaded from palemoon.org worked fine, but compiled from source can`t load any site

Unread post by Aleksandr » 2020-10-06, 09:22

Thank You so very much for your quick response and willingness to help

.mozconfig is

# Clear this if not a 64bit build
_BUILD_64=1

# Set GTK Version to 2 or 3
_GTK_VERSION=3

# Standard build options for Pale Moon
ac_add_options --enable-application=palemoon
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse"
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk$_GTK_VERSION
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --disable-maintenance-service
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --enable-devtools
ac_add_options --disable-elf-hack
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --disable-debug-js-modules
ac_add_options --disable-debug-symbols
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --with-pthreads

# Please see https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml for restrictions when using the official branding.
ac_add_options --enable-official-branding
export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1

# For versions after 28.12.0
ac_add_options --enable-phoenix-extensions
ac_add_options --disable-precompiled-startupcache
mk_add_options PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2
mk_add_options AUTOCONF=/usr/bin/autoconf-2.13
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j11"

# Processor architecure specific build options
if [ -n "$_BUILD_64" ]; then
ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib64
else
ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib
fi

export MOZ_PKG_SPECIAL=gtk$_GTK_VERSION

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-06, 09:58

Off-topic:
What is it with people who stop reading sentences after the first task stated?
Please post your mozconfig used as well as the output of about:buildconfig

P.S.: the error shown isn't a security issue it's a DNS issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-06, 11:08

Pretty sure half those options don't exist. Know what, I went to a lot of trouble to revamp the linux build instructions page and you just shit it up with yet another crap mozconfig.

You don't deserve help.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2020-10-06, 11:10

mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j11" Ouch!!! I run Gentoo linux, where almost everything is built from source. Many Gentoo users who try boosting the job count run into inexplicable "mysterious problems". Try "-j4"; it works for me on my homebrew build. It doesn't matter how many cores you have, it's a build system limitation. Also, if your build differs from the official, it should be marked unofficial. We can take this discussion offline to DM if the moderators so desire. I have a lot more comments about the mozconfig.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-06, 11:12

Oh yeah, here comes Dnes. He will make it all better. If you take his advice you may as well not bother to come back cause nothing you report will be considered valid.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-06, 12:32

Dnes, it's assumed that if someone explicitly sets the parallel job count high, that they have the resources to do so.
FTR, I build Pale Moon with -j20 on the build server when working on development; no problem with that, given the 24 cpu count and plenty of ram.

Also, official branding is fine if the user is just compiling with their own settings, for their own consumption, on their own system.

Aleksandr

Unread post by Aleksandr » 2020-10-06, 15:31

Hello.
You was write "P.S.: the error shown isn't a security issue it's a DNS issue."

But for win81(chrome, firefox, opera, ie) and for Centos7(and last OpenSUSE) (firefox, opera, chromium) and for MacOS(safari, chrome) end android and Gentoo linux(Webkit-gtk(epiphany), qupzilla) web browsers and all others services worked fine with this my DNS.

With default .mosconfig (from https://developer.palemoon.org/build/linux/) I also tried at the very beginning - the same effect.

-j11 - totally good build over 3500 packages on my Gentoo.
Attachments
palemoon-about_buildconfig.png
mozconfig.tar.gz
(757 Bytes) Downloaded 8 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-06, 17:05

Just saying that "server not found" is a DNS issue. The DNS lookup fails.

How many cores does your system have? if it's less than at least 12 and your RAM is less than at least 16GB, then your parallel building is too aggressive.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if that laundry list of compile options is going to work, but at the very least you should not compile our tree with -O3 anywhere. And you should probably tone down on a number of other options that seem there to squeeze minor performance out of compiled programs at risk of stability. "less in more" in our case.
I'd like to help but this is as far as my in-depth knowledge of gcc goes; our assistance with build-your-own setups is also necessarily limited, especially on every-install-is-unique-Gentoo.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-06, 17:38

The errors are very likely caused by too many "optimization" flags.
You might want to remove them or at the very least use O2.
Also I don't see the point in disabling GCC's C++11 ABI, especially if you compile each package as Gentoo does.
The issue is really an unfortunate combination of flags.

Aleksandr

Unread post by Aleksandr » 2020-10-06, 18:47

I recompiled everything, following (in my opinion) all Your recommendations - the same effect and even http://start.palemoon.org/ doesn't load, even though the palemoon you built is 28.14.2.linux-x86_64.tar.xz works perfectly with the same DNS

My
echo $CFLAGS -O2 -march=native -mtune=native -ftls-model=initial-exec -pipe
echo $CXXFLAGS -O2 -march=native -mtune=native -ftls-model=initial-exec -pipe
Attachments
.mozconfig-201006.tar.gz
(745 Bytes) Downloaded 9 times
palemoon-about_buildconfig-201006.png

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-06, 19:28

I noticed only now that you are using GCC 4.9. Does it make a difference if you use GCC 9?
I have almost the same configuration as you and yet it's working (using it right now), so it's the only thing I can think of.
The other major difference is the "-ftls-model" flag, which I don't specify.

Aleksandr

Unread post by Aleksandr » 2020-10-07, 15:58

GCC-4.9.4 was chosen by me in accordance with the requirements of "Building Pale Moon: GNU Linux" from https://developer.palemoon.org/build/linux/:- "GCC versions 4.9, 5.x, 7.x, 8.x or 9.x". About gcc-9 there is also written:-"GCC 9.x is still considered experimental at this time", but I take the build seriously and almost never use experimental versions of gcc, so I made another build with gcc-7.5.0 - unfortunately the effect is the same. Regarding "-ftls-model=initial-exec" - this flag is also not chosen by chance. The documentation describing gcc options for the ftls-model option clearly States:-"The default without -fpic is ‘initial-exec’; with -fpic the default is ‘global-dynamic’." - see "https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Code ... tions.html".
Attachments
palemoon-buildLinux-201007.png
palemoon-about_buildconfig-201007.png
.mozconfig-201007.tar.gz
(745 Bytes) Downloaded 7 times

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-07, 16:28

Obviously you are unable to successfully build the application after several attempts so maybe you can abandon your ricer distro mind-set and just use a working properly compiled binary that we provide.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-07, 16:34

Aleksandr wrote:
2020-10-07, 15:58
almost never use experimental versions of gcc
GCC 9 is the default on the current Gentoo and even though it says experimental, it works pretty well.
Aleksandr wrote:
2020-10-07, 15:58
Regarding "-ftls-model=initial-exec" - this flag is also not chosen by chance. The documentation describing gcc options for the ftls-model option clearly States:-"The default without -fpic is ‘initial-exec’; with -fpic the default is ‘global-dynamic’." - see "https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Code ... tions.html".
What happens if you don't specify it? Some parts of the codebase might be compiled with PIC enabled and your explicit flag might cause issues.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-07, 16:59

Hell.. Gentoo, any of it, is experimental at BEST.

Aleksandr

Unread post by Aleksandr » 2020-10-07, 18:13

I will build it well without ftls-model, although the requirement to build without the ftls-model flag is more than strange - after all, the developer must independently monitor their compatibility with other flags when introducing specific flags, or at least specify them in the compilation requirements. I think that without this flag, the problem should only appear with the completion of the process, since my glibc is built with it.

Aleksandr

Unread post by Aleksandr » 2020-10-07, 19:02

Checked - the build is working properly ftls-model should not have affected to the final result in any way, and did not any affect - any sites are still not loaded. Once again, it is hardly reasonable to sin against the my system. 3355 packages in the range of 2003-2020g. stable and regularly compiled without any problems.
Attachments
palemoon-about_buildconfig-201007_1.png
.mozconfig-201007_1.tar.gz
(745 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-07, 19:23

What you seem to forget is how large and complex of an application a modern web browser is. I'm sure thousands of small and straightforward tools and utilities will build without a hitch, but that isn't an indicator for how a tree with over 20 million lines of source code will behave in that same custom environment.
If you can't get a working binary building it yourself, then your only option to use it on your system is to use the pre-built and broadly-tested binary we supply.