unable to clear history, cache, download history...

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
woody

unable to clear history, cache, download history...

Unread post by woody » 2020-09-28, 13:51

Hi,

I'm using palemoon 28.13.0 64 bits on debian 8 Jessie It's the version maintained by steven pusser.

When I click "clear your recent history" in Tools > Preferences > Privacy, I select Everything as time range and browser & download history, form & search history and cache.

When I click clear now, nothings really happens. Everything marked for deletion is still there even when I close browser and reopen it the next day.

I use palemoon as a regular linux user although it's installed for everybody as root. The data is in "~/moonchild productions" and is readable/writable by me.

Is there a manual way to accomplish all of the above if it's not going to work the way intended. It works super well on the windows version still.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: unable to clear history, cache, download history...

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-09-29, 23:33

Moderator note: The offered solution below is extremely dangerous and generally ill-advised. Please know what you are doing before straight-up nuking your entire profile, and understand that this will wipe data for ALL Moonchild Productions applications you may have!
This may not be a sensible or at least finely targeted suggestion, as it will delete everything including personal settings, bookmarks and extensions, but as no-one has yet offered anything better:

Code: Select all

$ rm -r ~/.moonchild\ productions/
That can also sometimes fix problems too if a profile gets corrupted. It may take a few minutes to set up the new profile, which is the downside. You could mv that dir instead so you could go back to it if you wanted.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

woody

Unread post by woody » 2020-09-30, 00:15

Thank you very much!

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-09-30, 04:04

Also look in Browser Console for any errors. Update Pale Moon to 28.14.0 which is the latest version.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-09-30, 18:55

Apologies, you are quite right, and I had not taken into account the case where other MoonChild Productions apps were installed, nor fully discussed all the implications.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-10-01, 20:27

For what it's worth, Jessie is end-of-life, though I left the builds going. 32-bit on that release and Ubuntu 16.04 fails to build for the last few PM releases, though.

The latest Bleachbit added cleaning for Pale Moon, too. IDK if that's been mentioned on the forums yet.