need help before i can even get started in zorin os 15.2

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mipak
Moon lover
Moon lover

need help before i can even get started in zorin os 15.2

Unread post by mipak » 2020-08-30, 16:49

for a number of years, i've want to move over from windows to linux and after (very loosely) experimenting with a few different distros, decided on zorin as it seemed to be more windows-friendly than most if not all the others.

i used an ibm t42 laptop (no windows button) and downloaded zorin lite and firefox, had a brief look at it and there i left it. that was some years ago but now my interest has returned.

my problem is that i'm having difficulty in getting the laptop to behave properly in that if i'm online, virtually every time i try and access a site, a message appears with the message:

secure connection failed.
an error occured during a connection to (for example) en.wikipedia.org. cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). (error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap):
the page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

(the above message is giving me a bit of deja-vous when i had a problem with secure/trusted certificates a couple of months ago in PM-Win10P)

there was another message i received when i was attempting to download the new edition of the zorinos 15.2 core forum, can't recall the exact words but it basically said it couldn't download it because the lack (or something) of mhtp5. don't know what it is or how to get past it.

finally, the laptop uses an american keyboard and i need to change it to an english one. have looked at a number of ways to do it but it has no windows button. there used to a small programme that you could d/l and alter in the (windows) registry but i don't suppose i can access that for a linix system. whatever way, i can't change the k/b and its icon in the bottom right corner remains as 'us'.

would be very grateful for some help please :) ........... thank you.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: need help before i can even get started in zorin os 15.2

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-09-05, 07:01

I looked, but I don't see that you're using PM for certain--are you, and do any other browsers such as Firefox have the same issues?