twitter cookies

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon and specific Linux distribution questions related to the browser.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
If your question is about general use of the browser and not specific to Linux, then please use the General Support board.
oscar
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

twitter cookies

Post by oscar » 2020-08-26, 09:34

Hi
I had a weird experience yesterday:
whenever I leave a website, I close down the tab and use the ctrl+shift+delete shortcut.
I always check to see whether cookies are truly deleted after executing the shortcut.
I've checkmarked everything to be deleted in the privacysettings
I only allow firstparty cookies when needed.
anyways, all of a sudden I discovered a twittercookie,
allthough I never visit twitter via palemoon.
only via nitter with FF on a different pc.
Besides, I dont have an account.
it took me two attempts to get rid of it.
I checked my profile directory via about:support to get access to storage;
but everything seems normal.
I run ubuntu 18.04 LTS

same thing happened earlier this year after a palemoon-update.
nothing appears compromised,
but then again: I'm no techsavvy.

did anybody ever experience something similar
or have an explanation?

moonbat
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: twitter cookies

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-26, 09:50

Use a decent adblocker and you don't have to do these acrobatics. Twitter has tracking cookies and scripts on plenty of websites that embed tweets directly instead of just quoting their text.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 20 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 12 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-08-26, 10:01

An explanation could be that one of the sites you visited had twitter content in an iframe, e.g. a twitter content widget or what not. There are some rules about when an iframe can or cannot set cookies (among other things whether it's marked sandboxed or not) so yes, you may end up with twitter cookies while visiting some other site, because twitter content would be loaded inside a frame pointing to twitter.com.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

oscar
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Post by oscar » 2020-08-26, 10:10

I use uBlock Origin version 1.16.4.25
with Adguard social media, anti-facebook & fanboy's social filterlists checkmarked.
However, if I understand your reply correctly:
This incident is a matter of successfull tracking and not some creepy malware.
thank you for your explanation

moonbat
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-26, 10:26

Use the uMatrix fork eMatrix in addition to uBlock Origin, it acts as a full scale content blocker where everything is blocked by default except what you explicitly allow per site, and also it prevents cookies from leaving the browser (as opposed to just being set). There is a bit of a learning curve but it is totally worth it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 20 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 12 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

oscar
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Post by oscar » 2020-08-26, 14:56

thank you for metioning :) I'll check it out

Kathuluforz
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Kathuluforz » 2020-08-26, 16:36

I'm using both UBO and eMatrix and have had great success with them both, where one may miss something the other will usually pick up the slack.
(tested)
Pale Moon 28.13.0 (64) Win7 pro (64)

"People will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think." ~ Aldous Huxley
'DON'T PANIC'

fatboy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by fatboy » 2020-08-27, 07:19

Another addon that is a good idea is Self Destructing Cookies for Pale Moon, configure it to clear local storage as well.
Systemd Free - PCLINUXOS & Artix Linux