Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't. Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
xykreinov

Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't.

Unread post by xykreinov » 2020-08-22, 06:26

Whenever I try to start Pale Moon, I get this message:

Code: Select all

Pale Moon is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Pale Moon process, or restart your system.
I check my system monitor and, every time, Pale Moon isn't already running prior to me trying to launch it. I've tried rebooting my system and reinstalling Pale Moon to no avail.
This behavior only started after migrating a system-user folder from an old Ubuntu install to my Artix install. So, I'm sure something about the Pale Moon folder from it is causing issues.
Any ideas for how I could go about fixing this besides just removing the old Pale Moon folder? I'd rather not have to reconfigure Pale Moon if I don't have to.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-22, 06:40

Check the directory's ownership and permissions. Pale Moon's process must have full write access.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

xykreinov

Re: Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't.

Unread post by xykreinov » 2020-08-22, 15:12

Once I recursively gave user permissions to the Pale Moon folder (it and everything inside it) all works swimmingly.