Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't. Topic is solved

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon and specific Linux distribution questions related to the browser.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
If your question is about general use of the browser and not specific to Linux, then please use the General Support board.
xykreinov

Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't.

Post by xykreinov » 2020-08-22, 06:26

Whenever I try to start Pale Moon, I get this message:

Code: Select all

Pale Moon is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Pale Moon process, or restart your system.
I check my system monitor and, every time, Pale Moon isn't already running prior to me trying to launch it. I've tried rebooting my system and reinstalling Pale Moon to no avail.
This behavior only started after migrating a system-user folder from an old Ubuntu install to my Artix install. So, I'm sure something about the Pale Moon folder from it is causing issues.
Any ideas for how I could go about fixing this besides just removing the old Pale Moon folder? I'd rather not have to reconfigure Pale Moon if I don't have to.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't.

Post by Moonchild » 2020-08-22, 06:40

Check the directory's ownership and permissions. Pale Moon's process must have full write access.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

xykreinov

Re: Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't.

Post by xykreinov » 2020-08-22, 15:12

Once I recursively gave user permissions to the Pale Moon folder (it and everything inside it) all works swimmingly.