PM 28.12.0 freezes desktop after closing a tab

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
moonbob69
Moon lover
Moon lover

PM 28.12.0 freezes desktop after closing a tab

Unread post by moonbob69 » 2020-08-13, 20:41

A few days after installing 28.12.0 on Linux Xenialpup 7.5 with window manager JWM v.2.3.7, PM sometimes freezes desktop (no response to mouse or keybd) after a PM tab is closed; no page activity occurring. If in a hurry, I reboot, but sometimes I wait to see what happens.

1. Closing DuckDuckGo tab with 1 or 2 older DuckDuck tabs: freeze stopped desktop clock and lasted min 15 to 26 minutes (actual resume time unknown). Had not rebooted because had unsaved file in Geany text editor. Tested system by opening a console shell and doing an LS; seemed OK, exited shell. Clicked on Geany and desktop froze again. Specifically, after creating Geany window outline (with upper-right "_ (box) X"), and file text, but not not file title, menus, or toolbars. This freeze lasted 9 minutes, then I saved file w/o reboot. Geany froze again an hour later for unknown time. Then PM froze 3 hours later, but with desktop clock still running this time.

2. Next day after several reboots, after working OK for hours, froze again after closing one of 4 Wikipedia tabs. And every few hours since, but not any other window until a PM window freezes first.

3. Had updated to 28.12.0 from PM 28.9.3 which had run for ~9 mo on same system without this problem.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: PM 28.12.0 freezes desktop after closing a tab

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-08-13, 20:59

I use the same os and desktop as you myself.i changed pale moon from root to spot and it seemed to stop the occasionally freezes and facebook was the main site i was having problems with.I have to use firefox if i wish to visit facebook but firefox has a problem with fb too in regard to the memory surging upon exiting.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2020-08-23, 12:48

If you ask me, I'd say the answer is simple. Quit using Facebook!! :lol: :o

Never see the point in social media. Haven't got the time of day for it, personally.....

As far as Xenialpup64 goes, this has for long enough been one of the most stable of my "kennels". I don't think I've ever had any noticeable issues with Pale Moon. Mind you, as Moonraker knows, I package a ton of different browsers for Puppy; I never really use any one of them for extended periods of time, since I'm constantly experimenting with 'beta' versions, etc.....though 'regulars' include Chrome; Iron; Vivaldi; Firefox (mainline and ESR).....and of course, Pale Moon itself.

@ Moonraker:- Were you aware of the change to the "new" forum following John de Murga's demise back in May? (Not COVID-related; an "ischaemic episode". Translation? A heart attack.....the Western world's primary killer.)

https://forum.puppylinux.com/index.php

All nicely up to date now, running the newest version of phpBB (just like here).....and no longer plagued with registration issues! The old Murga-Linux forum is now a "read-only" archive, and has a new domain name, to 'match' the new "main" forum:-

http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/puppy/

Mike. ;)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-09-16, 19:34

@Mike walsh.
Yes i was sorry to hear of the passing of john.I am up to date with the new forum and thanks for the link.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1