Sometimes segfault with qualys-secure.force.com

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Sometimes segfault with qualys-secure.force.com

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-08-02, 06:57

Hello,
I'm using PM 28.11.0 i386 on Debian 10 from Steve's repo.
Sometimes (often, but not everytime) I open qualys-secure.force.com, tried out with the URL https://qualys-secure.force.com/discuss ... 003olX5QAI
the browser crashed and I get an error message if I run it inside a terminal.

Code: Select all

djkuhpisse@celsius:~$ palemoon --ProfileManager
Speicherzugriffsfehler		##in English segmentation fault
djkuhpisse@celsius:~$ 
I also created a new profile, it also happens, but not all the time.
There is enough free memory (only ~500 MB used from 2015 MB)
Kind regards
P4User
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Sometimes segfault with qualys-secure.force.com

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-08-02, 07:46

I left clicked on the link you provided 10 times and each time it took me to Mark Straver's profile page. I couldn't get Pale Moon to crash at all. On the 10th time, I started to clicking on all the buttons (Discussion, links) on that page and I did that 5 times for a total of 15 times. Everything worked on Mark Straver's profile page. No crashing when surfing around on his page.

At this time, I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.11.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce on this 10 year old desktop computer. This computer has 16 GB of memory in it. Opening up my System Monitor, with the Pale Moon forums page open and one tab for Mark Straver's profile page, I'm using 1.1 GB of memory out of 15.6 GB available.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-08-02, 07:49

I didn't happen all the time at my side too, but most of the time.
Because it is a memory problem, maybe it is architecture-specific.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-08-02, 08:05

I know you said, it didn't happen all the time, but "most" of the time. I opened the link you provided 15 times and I couldn't get my linux Pale Moon to crash at all.

Just an observation. When Windows 8 came along, that is when I went to linux for my daily distro (operating system) and just dual booted 64 bit Windows 7 as the backup operating system.

When I went to linux, many linux people told me, "Windows is not Linux and Linux is not Windows". In essence, they told me if I was going to go with a linux distro and use linux programs, to match the processor "bit" on the motherboard.

I was told if I attempted to run a 32 bit program on my 64 bit machine (Intel i7 processor), I should always use 64 bit programs. Never 32 bit. As an experiment way back in late 2012, I tried running two, 32 bit linux programs. One program would not run at all and the second program just threw errors on my 64 bit computer.

From looking at your signature, you have a 64 bit processor, but you're using 32 bit linux Pale Moon. Maybe this is something to do with your problem along with you using a large amount of your memory when compared to my memory in my computer.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-08-02, 08:09

I've different computers.
The computer with the problem is my Pentium M laptop (Fujitsu CELSIUS H210) with Pentium M and the Pentium M only supports 32 bit OS, so I installed Debian 10 i686.

The problem also doesn't occur on my main main System with PM 64 bit on my Ryzen.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-08-02, 17:43

I set up a VirtualBox with Debian 10 i386 and Pale Moon, didn't encounter the problem.
It might be more hardware-related.
I can't reproduce the laptop in VBox.