unable to update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mattiaoki

unable to update

Unread post by mattiaoki » 2020-07-20, 14:08

hello i am using manjaro arch based linux distro and every time i open the browser it says it is unable to update but when i go in the terminal and type sudo pcaman -Syu it dose not update?
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-07-20_18-03-14.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: unable to update

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-20, 15:11

The message is explicit. For Application Update Service to work it must be able have rw access to the program files. For linux there is not yet any way to elevate so you will simply have to grant file permissions so that your user account can rw those files.

That being said, you COULD have used your brain and read the message. You could have checked http://linux.palemoon.org/help/faq/#updater. Or even done a search on the forum. So thanks for wasting people's time, especially mine.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-07-20, 16:38

Off-topic:
Aren't there possibilities to become root?
I Know that from Ubuntu. GParted uses that and lots of other applications too.
You have to be a member in the sudo user group and then you have to type your password and then you can run sth. with root privileges.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-20, 19:38

I don't understand what you are talking about.. But the Updater has no concept of elevation in Linux. Not yet anyway and not likely anytime soon.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-07-20, 19:56

Try pacman -Qs palemoon
If it doesn't return anything it isn't installed as a pacman package. Manjaro provides a palemoon binary package which you can install with pacman I have read, if your distro doesn't have one install an AUR helper (this will do auto updates for AUR packages, just run <helper> -Syu instead of pacman -Syu) and install palemoon-bin from the AUR.
If you have Pale Moon installed as a package then you won't need Pale Moon's updater so make sure it is switched off in the prefs, but probably you still want the addons and search engine updates enabled in there.
Or you could not install it as a package and use it with the updater but then it has to be set up right with permissions as previously noted, or manually untar it and set it up yourself. The package options probably require the lowest maintenance / effort.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-20, 20:30

No system package should have AUS built and no repack should have AUS enabled.

If that is the case, then that needs to be addressed with whomever did it.

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-07-20, 20:43

Pentium4User wrote:
2020-07-20, 16:38
Off-topic:
Aren't there possibilities to become root?
I Know that from Ubuntu. GParted uses that and lots of other applications too.
Off-topic:
The mechanism you're thinking of is PolicyKit. See https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/polkit for more information about it.

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2020-07-20, 21:46

Also a Manjaro user here.

In order to prevent to turn this topic in a helpdesk ticket, I'll give a few hints to the topic starter and foreseeable newcomers who end up in this topic via their favorite search internet search engine.

1. Learn how package management of Manjaro works. The Manjaro Wiki and Arch Wiki are good enough for that. What? It's a too hard read for you? Then Manjaro is not the fitting Linux distro for you. You rather want to use Ubuntu or the like.
2. I recommend to install Pale Moon via the AUR with the palemoon-bin package.
Manjaro's official repository is slooooohohooow with providing Pale Moon updates. Building the AUR's palemoon package on your own does not have any advantage so far as I've experienced.
AUR's palemoon-bin package makes use of the precompiled tarballed linux releases, which is a fine middle ground.
Last edited by RoestVrijStaal on 2020-07-21, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-07-21, 00:19

If Pale Moon is built from source, the auto-update can be disabled in the .mozconfig file, but if it works like Firefox, the packager may have to set that option in a distribution.ini file if they're just packaging the binaries, and IDK if the PM devs are OK with that--probably best to run it by them first.

The OBS can build Arch packages from source, but I'll be damned it I really know how to do that. Maybe someone else is already doing that there.