Many thanks for this fantastic project and software !

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mattic

Many thanks for this fantastic project and software !

Unread post by mattic » 2020-03-30, 07:49

Hello :-)

i'm writing this at home guarantee :-| being an old geek ... i've been w GNU/Linux from kernel 1.2.n and still building mostly from source - and now i have plenty of time for all this..

i've built firefox ( firebird before that and even original mozilla, netscape, ...you name it ) versions really many times along the years but after 52.n.n i had to stop using mozilla software because of their regent inventions :-| so i really thank you of this UXP that i am able to build using just plain c / c++ !!

regently i have had to do a lot of tinkering to find bits and pieces that i can build with autotools and other stuff i accept to have on my system = can't see any sense in installing all kinds of compilers / libraries / stuff just to get a browser etc. built !

that said the only thing i find a bit annoying here is the mach build system - but as it is included and works for me i have to live with it :-)

again - Many Thanks !!

/mc

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Many thanks for this fantastic project and software !

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-30, 08:05

Glad you're enjoyting the build process!

FTR: There is no such thing as a "mach build system". "mach" is actually a convenience script for the various "make" commands to be issued (it's literally just "make" in a different language), files to be moved, invoking certain parts of the build system, etc. and it's there for your benefit. Strictly speaking you don't -have- to use it to build UXP applications but that would just be making your life a lot more complicated than it has to be.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-30, 10:38

Maybe not so much for building (make -f client.mk) but it really comes in handy for objdir actions like packaging, else u'd have to traverse there and issue a make command. Also, by default hides a bunch of output that is only necessary when it is and on Linux at least you get nice build status.

mattic

Unread post by mattic » 2020-03-31, 13:11

About mach

Yes i do understand what it is for - i'm just so used to use autotools which i use only to build stuff after adding my minimal configuration = disabling about all i am able to :-)

/m

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-31, 15:02

Well autohell isn't the only factor here. Also, you really shouldn't be deviating from official configuration much if at all. You did read the new build documentation didn't you? http://developer.palemoon.org/build/