Black "border" when opening browser with Hardware Acceleration enabled

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ZFR77
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Black "border" when opening browser with Hardware Acceleration enabled

Unread post by ZFR77 » 2020-03-28, 13:33

I noticed that I didn't have Hardware Acceleration enabled in settings, so enabled it today. However with it enabled, every time I open Pale Moon, a black sort of border appears (see attachment). This usually lasts for 1 sec, but can be 0.5 to 3 seconds. After that everything appears as normal.

If there is a window open already and I open a new one, it happens very quickly. Barely flashes.

Still happens with all addons disabled.

Stops happening when I disable HWA.

I'm using Linux Mint 19.3. This doesn't happen on the Windows version of Pale Moon dual booted on same machine.

It's not a huge deal, but I'm wondering if anything can be done about it?

Thanks.
Attachments
Pale Moon hw.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Black "border" when opening browser with Hardware Acceleration enabled

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-28, 13:54

There is a reason that what this option controls (layers acceleration and compositing) is disabled by default on Linux. Enabling it will only work flawless on an as of yet unknown subset of installations.

IOW: enabling this can cause glitches. It's unlikely we can do much about it so if you want those glitches to be addressed you yourself will have to do research and contribute.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ZFR77
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Black "border" when opening browser with Hardware Acceleration enabled

Unread post by ZFR77 » 2020-05-23, 18:02

Sorry, to bump this. But I figured out what was causing this in my case. I had mprime running in the background. Without it, the issue is no longer there.