Duplicate icon in some launchers

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
AgentOrange

Duplicate icon in some launchers

Unread post by AgentOrange » 2020-03-28, 09:48

The recommended .desktop file in the installation instructions lacks, I believe, one line:

Code: Select all

StartupWMClass="Pale moon"
The capitalization as I have typed it is given by:

Code: Select all

$ xprop | grep -i class
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Pale moon"
$ 
This being different from the Name field confuses some desktop environments, and can lead to situations where the windows aren't recognized as belonging to the .desktop file, so can appear as a "duplicate" from the Pinned/Favorites entry.

:think: …I'm actually unclear on where, exactly, this WM_CLASS entry is coming from—it looks like it's being dynamically generated?: widget/gtk/nsWindow.cpp:4075 is as far as I could trace it—should it be more-deterministically set?

[ETA: yes, I have linked to 28.8.4—it's the latest release indicated in Git—but it seems that bit of code is identical to the latest version (which I am running): official binary 28.9.0.2. I just wanted to make sure that my link wouldn't bit-rot, so I anchored it to a tag]

blipk

Re: Duplicate icon in some launchers

Unread post by blipk » 2020-04-15, 23:58

Hey, thanks for finding that, I had posted a thread about this over a year ago and it has been bugging me.

Just one thing, I had to use StartupWMClass=Pale moon - without the quotes or it did not work. This is on Fedora 32 with Gnome Shell 3.36

Any info on whether this will be updated in the builds?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2020-04-16, 02:50

AgentOrange wrote:
2020-03-28, 09:48
28.8.4—it's the latest release indicated in Git
Pale Moon has been moved back to the Pale-Moon repository, UXP is just for the platform (and XULRunner).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-16, 03:04

I am pretty sure I been marking UXP Releases listing the applications that build with that release and have been cross linking everything since this started.. So dunno what he is talking about...

blipk

Unread post by blipk » 2020-04-16, 03:53

Neither.

Made a PR here https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... /pull/1779 to remove the quotes, although it got marked as no issue.
I'm fairly new to git so not sure how this works.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2020-04-16, 05:24

blipk wrote:
2020-04-16, 03:53
Neither.

Made a PR here https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... /pull/1779 to remove the quotes, although it got marked as no issue.
I'm fairly new to git so not sure how this works.
It's OK you're just supposed to open an issue describing what the problem/situation is so it's easier to keep track of and there can be discussion about it, etc. and then reference the issue in your commit message and PR—When you use the # of the issue in the PR description GitHub will automatically link them. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-16, 10:54

Please read the contribution guideline document that was written. It's in /docs. Github even automatically links to it in various places I think.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-26, 14:26

Considering no verification was done, and the patch submitter has suddenly turned negative and scoffing the project as a whole, patch will be backed out until such time as someone can provide conclusive answers to the questions asked. The provided "solution" is illogical and needs verification and explanation, neither of which was provided.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite