Performance Optimizations? Hz/FPS?

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderator: trava90

futureproof

Performance Optimizations? Hz/FPS?

Post by futureproof » 2020-03-16, 10:29

If this is uninteresting to you, then please don't tear it down with the typical "no one cares about performance in web browsers..."

Anyone have performance optimizations or measurements for their Pale Moon setups? Are there differences in Pale Moon vs latest Firefox performance on Linux? Would be interested to see some benchmarks - especially considering FPS/refresh-rate below, since that increases the smoothness of experience a lot.

Phoronix just released a Firefox vs Chrome benchmark:
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/p ... e-on-linux

I would be curious to see which you all get with your Pale Moon setups (including: what resolution/refresh you're running && what refresh rate your display can handle)
The Blurbusters test seems like the most foolproof way to discern if you're getting full FPS:
https://www.testufo.com/

I'm also curious how various window managers affect this performance in browser! Compositors seem to decrease latency, and many WMs don't support full FPS it seems.
Thanks! :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Performance Optimizations? Hz/FPS?

Post by Moonchild » 2020-03-16, 10:51

futureproof wrote:
2020-03-16, 10:29
the typical "no one cares about performance in web browsers..."
We certainly care about performance, but we don't care about benchmarks in most cases.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

futureproof

Post by futureproof » 2020-03-16, 14:37

Moonchild wrote:
2020-03-16, 10:51
futureproof wrote:
2020-03-16, 10:29
the typical "no one cares about performance in web browsers..."
We certainly care about performance, but we don't care about benchmarks in most cases.
Well I hope others will reply that do care about measuring performance using benchmarks... Otherwise it is all hearsay. I hope to post some eventually when I get my next rig setup.

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-16, 15:13

Why? They are hardly useful for anyone but your own self in relative comparison to one another.
- This program cannot be run in DOS mode. -
https://binaryoutcast.com/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast | http://thereisonlyxul.org/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-03-16, 15:14

I'd rather have subjective feedback about overall performance than pseudo-objective "it scores X in benchmark Y for synthetic benchmark test Z" (pseudo because it's usually something that has 0 impact on real-world use, and might even be cheated at by mainstream)
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

futureproof

Post by futureproof » 2020-03-16, 15:35

Nothing pseudoscientific about using testufo.com, for example, to verify performance of apps! Of course if a performance measurement arises that is pseudoscience, I will appreciate when you call it out.

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-16, 15:46

Some so called optimizations to improve benchmark scores can have a deleterious effect making performance suffer in the real world.
- This program cannot be run in DOS mode. -
https://binaryoutcast.com/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast | http://thereisonlyxul.org/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-03-16, 16:37

By the way, your benchmark of choice doesn't even work; "can't get vsync".
And how fast something can scroll a texture horizontally is hardly important for browsers where vertical scrolling of static content is much more important of a thing. So what would be the point of that metric anyway?

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-03-31, 07:49

I blame the fetish of stuffing everything and the kitchen sink into the web browser instead of dedicated apps. And Electron doesn't count, it's a lame wrapper around a web application with the same moronic UI of a webpage forced onto what should have been (for example) an IM client in the traditional multi-window fashion. It's like let's forget about classic desktop toolkits and squeeze the hell out of Javascript + CSS, and a web browser that started out as a document viewer with some scripting for dynamic content has morphed into a generic application platform.

On HTML5Test for example, whatever Pale Moon is listed as not supporting is either a draft spec or completely unrelated crap like VR and gamepad support.
Off-topic:
Some of these like various input fields for forms seem useful, will we see them implemented eventually?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 4 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-03-31, 08:52

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2020-03-31, 07:49
Some of these like various input fields for forms seem useful, will we see them implemented eventually?
Issue #1210 (UXP)
Have at it!