Pale Moon font rendering worse than Firefox?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
babombomb

Pale Moon font rendering worse than Firefox?

Unread post by babombomb » 2020-03-01, 10:17

Using Manjaro. I'm noticing Firefox has slightly crisper, sharper rendering with better spacing. Is there a way I can improve PM's font rendering closer to Firefox?
Using the community repository Pale Moon and default pre-installed Firefox.
Attachments
PALE MOON 2.png
FIREFOX 2.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon font rendering worse than Firefox?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-01, 10:33

Font kerning and rendering depends very much on how your system is set up on Linux. There are many moving parts involved including system-wide font configuration, X, etc.
However, you may be able to get a result more to your liking by enabling Skia for your content rendering instead of Cairo.
To do so, go to about:config, fine the preference gfx.content.azure.backends and change the contents to read "skia,cairo" -- a restart of the browser is required.

Note: Use of Skia for content is at your own risk -- we do not test or develop against that rendering back-end for content and it may have bugs or glitches.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

babombomb

Re: Pale Moon font rendering worse than Firefox?

Unread post by babombomb » 2020-03-01, 11:59

I compared a couple screenshots with Skia and Cairo and it's the exact same. My font options are pretty much default, not sure what's causing this disparity. Guess I'll ask Manjaro forums.