lacoste segfault Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
smoki

lacoste segfault

Unread post by smoki » 2020-02-20, 03:26

Pale Moon 28.8.3 segfaulting on this site:

https://www.lacoste.com/us/

OK, seems regression as working on 28.7.2 and with 28.8.x serie starts crashing

BTW, Debian 10 32bit, using stevepusser's repo... just to mention, as always might be related might not

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: lacoste segfault

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-20, 09:12

smoki wrote:
2020-02-20, 03:26
BTW, Debian 10 32bit, using stevepusser's repo... just to mention, as always might be related might not
Please provide more details.

- details of the crash/segfault
- desktop environment you are working in
- troubleshooting information from the browser

(Does not reproduce on Windows for me)

By the way, for this site to work you will need to disable ES6 module scripting as their use of it doesn't like our basic implementation, and will refuse to work properly. (dom.moduleScripts.enabled)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

smoki

Unread post by smoki » 2020-02-21, 17:54

Not sure how to get more info, as it seems does not create anything... if i try to start palemoon from terminal emulator and go to that site then browser closes up and just say there "Segmentation fault".

But yeah if i disable dom.moduleScripts it does not segfault anymore :thumbup:

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-02-25, 21:30

The crash is also reproducible on MX 19's 64-bit build, which basically should be identical to the Buster version in my repo, as soon as I click anywhere on the site. Pale Moon just reports a segmentation fault when started from a terminal.

The desktop is MX's backport of XFCE 4.14.2 to Buster.

Disabling dom.moduleScripts also stops the crashes there.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-25, 21:34

Sounds like you will have to enable debug symbols and debug it. Does this happen on the mainline linux builds?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-02-25, 22:20

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
Does this happen on the mainline linux builds?
I'm using the mainline Linux build 64 bit, on Devuan 64 bit, and it crashed without warning or error message after a couple of clicks.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-26, 03:23

Thanks for the report.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-26, 03:27

I was able to get it to crash on Windows at tip.

Exception: c0000005
Visual Studio wrote: The thread 0xdfc has exited with code 0 (0x0).
Unhandled exception thrown: read access violation.
ms was nullptr.
Call Stack:

Code: Select all

>	xul.dll!nsScriptLoader::InstantiateModuleTree(nsModuleLoadRequest * aRequest) Line 1147	C++
 	xul.dll!nsModuleLoadRequest::DependenciesLoaded() Line 275	C++
 	xul.dll!mozilla::MozPromise<bool,enum nsresult,0>::MethodThenValue<nsModuleLoadRequest,void (__cdecl nsModuleLoadRequest::*)(void) __ptr64,void (__cdecl nsModuleLoadRequest::*)(void) __ptr64>::DoResolveOrRejectInternal(const mozilla::MozPromise<bool,enum nsresult,0>::ResolveOrRejectValue & aValue) Line 546	C++
 	xul.dll!mozilla::MozPromise<nsTArray<bool>,enum nsresult,0>::ThenValueBase::DoResolveOrReject(const mozilla::MozPromise<nsTArray<bool>,enum nsresult,0>::ResolveOrRejectValue & aValue) Line 433	C++
 	xul.dll!mozilla::MozPromise<nsTArray<bool>,enum nsresult,0>::ThenValueBase::ResolveOrRejectRunnable::Run() Line 338	C++
 	xul.dll!mozilla::AutoTaskDispatcher::TaskGroupRunnable::Run() Line 196	C++
 	xul.dll!nsThread::ProcessNextEvent(bool aMayWait, bool * aResult) Line 1147	C++
 	xul.dll!NS_ProcessNextEvent(nsIThread * aThread, bool aMayWait) Line 356	C++
 	xul.dll!mozilla::ipc::MessagePump::Run(base::MessagePump::Delegate * aDelegate) Line 96	C++
 	xul.dll!MessageLoop::Run() Line 206	C++
 	xul.dll!nsBaseAppShell::Run() Line 155	C++
 	xul.dll!nsAppShell::Run() Line 264	C++
 	xul.dll!nsAppStartup::Run() Line 284	C++
 	xul.dll!XREMain::XRE_mainRun() Line 3860	C++
 	xul.dll!XREMain::XRE_main(int argc, char * * argv, const nsXREAppData * aAppData) Line 3989	C++
 	xul.dll!XRE_main(int argc, char * * argv, const nsXREAppData * aAppData, unsigned int aFlags) Line 4071	C++
 	palemoon.exe!do_main(int argc, char * * argv, char * * envp, nsIFile * xreDirectory) Line 255	C++
 	palemoon.exe!NS_internal_main(int argc, char * * argv, char * * envp) Line 379	C++
 	palemoon.exe!wmain(int argc, wchar_t * * argv) Line 114	C++
 	[External Code]	

Minidump: http://repository.binaryoutcast.com/artifacts/dumps/palemoon-20200225-4ff7606b6-lacoste.com.7z

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-26, 05:25

A null check, of course, will bypass the crash and there IS a bugzilla bug associated that seems to describe this but wasn't very detailed and no one followed up until much later when it was RESOLVED WORKSFORME likely due to refactoring fixing this likely piss poor eager instantiation bullshit that landed in gecko/51.. But that doesn't solve the core issue. I tried a few fixes that SEEMED related but they didn't help either. Also, even if it doesn't crash the site is horribly busted because it is obviously expecting a fully to-spec + whatever bullshit behavior was changed later implementation.

I have exhausted my skill set here. Have fun, whomever takes a stab at it who is likely named Moonchild.

Also, someone file an issue at the UXP repo, I'm going to bed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-26, 11:10

Even if it looks like shit we shouldn't be crashing because of content.
Also a crash dump "from tip" won't be usable because I won't have the symbols of that particular build.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-26, 13:17

Oh yeah, symbols. I forgot. Gimmy a few to wake up.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-29, 12:28

For the record, the cause has been found and a new version will be released to address this crash.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-02, 07:35

Do note, as I said, this will not make the site fully functional.. It just won't crash anymore. ES Modules are on the agenda but it will not be completed by the new Milestone's first release.