PM mutes bitchute - can't unmute Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lew Rockwell Fan

PM mutes bitchute - can't unmute

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2020-01-27, 19:06

This happened once before: viewtopic.php?t=19568
Same thing again exactly. It only happens on the one site. That site works fine in firefox. I switched to a backup profile and it works fine. But, just as before, it wasn't a deliberate profile change. No new extensions were added. No setting was changed in between the time it worked and the next morning when it didn't.
I still have the old profile if anyone wants to suggest what to compare to figure why this happens. Not a high priority for me personally since my backup profile works fine, but might be nice to know why this happens.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: PM mutes bitchute - can't unmute

Unread post by therube » 2020-01-28, 00:21

URL?

Did you try clearing cookies?

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2020-01-28, 07:18

Thanks. Deleting cookies did it. I'd be real interested if you cared to explain why. Is the check mark now the button to label an answer as the solution?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-28, 09:07

Could be that the site locally saves volume settings in a cookie, and maybe muting it one time got it to get stuck.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-28, 13:52

If it "suddenly stops working" and clearing cookies fixes it, then it is in 99% of the cases a matter of the website having changed something, there still being a cookie in the browser from the "old situation" that wasn't expired, and the website as a result doing something unexpected. The exact reason and details will vary per site implementation.
This is why clearing your cache and cookies is always a good idea before you report something as a potential bug or issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2020-01-29, 02:52

I see. Thank you both.