Working with multiple browser windows

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Working with multiple browser windows

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2020-01-15, 12:25

Aube Bleue wrote:
2020-01-15, 06:50
The item (as well as a few others) only appears when the menu is accessed with the keyboard; when clicking on the menu, it's hidden.
yellowfinch wrote:
2020-01-15, 12:13
And I’m sure I’ve never encountered this principle in the Windoze world.
Just tried it myself and yes, the behavior is the same in Windows.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-15, 12:26

It's in the UI code, it applies to all operating systems.

Maybe we should redesign the menu and have a new main category "Window" with all window/tab operations permanently there. It's certainly a problem with expectance the way it is now, but I don't feel like having those entries permanently in the File menu makes sense and it clutters it with irrelevant entries for pointer use (which is obviously the reason Mozilla decided to hide the entries).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2020-01-15, 13:01

I just tried; PM 28.6.1 (wow, didn't realize I was that behind). Every menu (File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, and Tools) except Help shows additional options when opened with the relevant keystroke. And upon using any keystroke to open a menu, all the menus can be navigated with the cursor and will show the full set of options.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-01-15, 13:39

The item (as well as a few others) only appears when the menu is accessed with the keyboard
Ah, thanks. (I also never realized.) :-)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-15, 13:53

This is what I have in Borealis's File Menu.. It would be more logical I believe to have the various "New" items under a sub-menu rather than window controls. The contextual difference is if there is one tab or multiple tabs per window.

c725651d-771e-44e3-95fa-4b9e99691761.jpg
4ae9e54f-1694-4710-887f-5ad52f573cb9.jpg

Dunno, if that helps in decision making.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-15, 14:07

I also remember it being like that before. I'm guessing it was changed since the "new" items were some of the most-used options in that menu and having it directly there does save a keystroke.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Aube Bleue

Unread post by Aube Bleue » 2020-01-15, 20:36

Glad I could shed some light, people.