An old graphics problem reappeared in 28.7.1 (64-bit)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
doffen

An old graphics problem reappeared in 28.7.1 (64-bit)

Unread post by doffen » 2019-09-21, 22:48

I had a problen with 32-bit 27.4.2 color management settings a couple of years ago, because gfx.color_management.mode was default set to 2. That setting made som horrible coclors for scanned documents, unless you have corrected the problem yourselves, you can see the same in 28.7.1 here: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/39890/39

My old thread regarding the problem in 27.4.2: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16546
and before that here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111420 ( with example pics)
On gfx.color_management.mode, kb.mozillazine.org wrote: Possible values and their effects

0) Disable color management.
1) Enable color management for rendered graphics.
2) Enable color management for tagged graphics only. (Default)

Note: These values apply to Firefox 3.5 and SeaMonkey 2. In previous versions, color management was disabled by default via the boolean preference gfx.color_management.enabled set to "false".
Caveats
Without a properly calibrated monitor and a correct color profile, color management may actually make colors look worse.
I set the gfx.color_management.mode to 0 in 28.7.2, and the problem disappeared (again).
Is this a setting that should be default set to 0? I see that there is a reference to a setting in old Firefox and Seamonkey in the quote from mozillazine above, gfx.color_managment.enabled. In PM 28.7.1, there is a setting gfx.color_management.enablev4, is that a recent addition? Apart from those I may see right away, are there any implications if it is set to false?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: An old graphics problem reappeared in 28.7.1 (64-bit)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-21, 23:22

doffen wrote:
2019-09-21, 22:48
you can see the same in 28.7.1 here: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/39890/39
Looks fine here:
Image1.jpg
doffen wrote:
2019-09-21, 22:48
I set the gfx.color_management.mode to 0 in 28.7.2, and the problem disappeared (again).
Unless something reset your color calibration (a system package update perhaps), your colors should be fine once you've calibrated them.

Nothing recent has changed with color management in the browser.
The "enablev4" pref is also not new, and has been enabled for many years. I know Firefox still(?) doesn't enable v4 profiles but in effect that is the same as not providing any ICC color correction at all because no graphics program uses v2 profiles anymore (in fact it was superseded by v4 a very very long time ago as well). So setting it to false will offer color management but in practice doesn't really do much of anything color management-y because v4 profiles are then ignored (resulting in the same display as disabling CMS completely).

The defaults are exactly the way they should be -- but you have to make sure that if your O.S. offers a CMS that you have at least basic calibration in place for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-09-22, 05:37

I know very little about color management, haven't changed Pale Moon color preferences, and I also see the issue (pink colors).

I think it'd be better to reintroduce https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... 7e5d2c70b7
That way people who need (and know) color profile support can enable it themselves and who don't know about this stuff will be saved from seeing weird colors.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-22, 09:44

Yes, I guess that got lost with UXP. Feel free to create a PR for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2019-09-22, 11:57

May i note that windows is also affected. I couldn't find a way changing the gfx.color_management.* configs to make it disappear.
Unbenannt.png

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2019-09-22, 19:14

karlkracher, you open a new tab, and enter about:config in the addressbar. Scroll down until you find the section with gfx entries, see attached screenshot. Right-click the name to see a pop-up menu, choose Modify, and make a new setting. Restart the PM from the File menu, which restarts PM with all tabs intact.

Click picture to enlarge
about-config-gfx.jpg

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2019-09-22, 19:33

Thanks, that's how i did it with the exception that i missed the restart part. No more pink black and white photos. Anything important that i'm missing now with the new setting?

(I don't know anything about color profiles always thought that would be important only for people working in the printing business but not for web surfing.)

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2019-09-24, 04:44

Anything important that i'm missing now with the new setting?(I don't know anything about color profiles always thought that would be important only for people working in the printing business but not for web surfing.)
Same here, I don't know! :wave:

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-24, 05:04

doffen wrote:
2019-09-24, 04:44
Anything important that i'm missing now with the new setting?(I don't know anything about color profiles always thought that would be important only for people working in the printing business but not for web surfing.)
Same here, I don't know! :wave:
Usually printing, digital imaging require accurate color production, so they use color profiles. I think it also has to do with the monitor driver so that they're accurately reproduced (on Windows, installing WHQL certified drivers also creates color profiles for the monitor as I've seen).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-24, 08:46

All supported Windows versions have an option to "calibrate color" in their control panel -- this will create a baseline calibration which is needed for some drivers since they use completely wrong values for "uninitialized" states.

It should be in the control panel under "Display", although on Win 10 you might have to dig deeper and bypass the dumbed down metro app to get to the classic control panel to get it.

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2019-09-24, 13:21

Same glitch with colors here on Linux Mint 19.2...
Changing gfx.color_management.mode to 0 fixed it.
The gfx.color_management.mode value exists in the Linux version and is set to 2 by default.
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest