Proper way to create a customized user profile

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
terranigma

Proper way to create a customized user profile

Unread post by terranigma » 2019-09-12, 06:32

Hi all,
I have to create a standard profile for all users at work. I want to keep all customizations (imported certificates, proxy settings, language packs, search engines etc. ) except browsing data. Copying a cleared profile (approx 14mb in size) just works but I wonder that if I can pick only needed files to reduce size due to portability reasons.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Proper way to create a customized user profile

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-12, 07:53

I doubt there's anything extraneous. You seem to be going about it the right way - start with a fresh profile, customize it, exit PM and then make a backup copy of the profile directory to be copied to different users.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Proper way to create a customized user profile

Unread post by adesh » 2019-09-12, 10:56

That's pretty much it but for more "cleanliness" probably you should also remove some values like cache sizes, some timestamps and appVersions from prefs.js file and such.