Verification/info wanted for issue

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Verification/info wanted for issue

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-20, 09:13

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/736

Could any of you Linux folks check to see if there is a problem there or not, and if so, what exactly is the issue?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Verification/info wanted for issue

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-08-20, 11:39

I didn't have any problems on the GitHub site. The page rendered quickly and properly. I clicked on some of the Buttons such as:

Code
Issues 75
Pull requests 1
Projects 0
Wiki
Security
Insights

On the Issues, there are a few comments between you and I29ah. Lots of code which I don't understand. Everything seems to be working on that page.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.6.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.2 (Tina) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Verification/info wanted for issue

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-08-20, 11:55

@NightWing
Yeah, the problem is about the code you don't understand not GitHub.

It seems the example doesn't work for me either. I'm investigating on the matter.

I changed the font family name from "xos4 Terminus" to "Anime Ace" and now every character, no matter if serif, sans serif or monospace, is displayed using Anime Ace.
So I believe there's a problem with the fonts.conf file, not Pale Moon.

After testing a bunch of fonts, I can say that Pale Moon correctly reads the fontconfig configuration. The problem is in the family name (in the case of the example, "xos4 Terminus"): if it doesn't match exactly the family name of an installed font, Pale Moon (though probably simply fontconfig) will fall back to a default font.
In theory, "xos4 Terminus" should be the correct family name, so if it doesn't work it's either because fontconfig can't find it or the family name is actually different for some reason.