How can I back-up browser history?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
markfilipak

How can I back-up browser history?

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-08-09, 22:06

How can I back-up browser history? Apparently 'History' 'Show All History' [Library] 'Import and Backup' 'Backup...' backs up only bookmarks, not browser history.

Sorry for such a basic question. I searched for solutions but failed.

Related question:
Where can I find a file inventory for Pale Moon with '[paths]/names' so that I can do manual backups? I used to have a back-up addin -- can't remember the name -- but it proved to be unreliable. I seek to craft a Pale Moon launch script to automatically back up key Pale Moon files upon Linux startup. I need to locate them ([paths]/names) so I can back them up, and then selectivelly restore them when needed.

Warm Regards, and Thanks!
Mark.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: How can I back-up browser history?

Unread post by jars_ » 2019-08-09, 22:29

Browser history(not only) stored in places.sqlite file.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-08-09, 22:58

Hi Jars,
jars_ wrote:
2019-08-09, 22:29
Browser history(not only) stored in places.sqlite file.
'places.sqlite', eh? No wonder I couldn't find it.

Is the Pale Moon application & profile file list documented anywhere? That would go far to eliminate the sorts of questions I (and others) have.

Thanks,
Mark.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2019-08-09, 23:17

Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data
--> click here · What information is stored in my profile?

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-08-09, 23:47

jars_ wrote:
2019-08-09, 23:17
Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data
--> click here · What information is stored in my profile?
Thanks Jars,

I've copied that page and am making documentation from it. I'll come back and post any discrepancies I find (discrepancies because Pale Moon is not Firefox).

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-08-10, 16:10

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-08-10, 22:37

therube wrote:
2019-08-10, 16:10
Similarly, http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder.
Thanks! I'll look at that one next.

Well, it appears that there are some discrepancies between FF & PM. Some are undoubtedly trivial, some are probably because I haven't yet done something or made some change to my PM. Here's my list so far. I'll come back later and add to it. If anyone wants to contribute...

(Oh, the reason I'm doing this is that I lost 4 days of browser history including some things I hadn't bookmarked yet. I don't want that to happen again.)

This is based on https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

Quote: "Note: This is not a complete list. Only important information is described."
Question: What so-called "unimportant information" has been excluded?

'[profileFolderName]/bookmarkbackups/' is a folder that contains bookmark backup files.
Recommendation: Instead of manually copying files,
To back up (while Pale Moon is running),
- use 'History' 'Show All History' [Library] 'Import and Backup' 'Backup...';
To restore (while Pale Moon is running),
- use 'History' 'Show All History' [Library] 'Import and Backup' 'Restore' and select a previously saved file.

'[profileFolderName]/content-prefs.sqlite' is a database that contains
- site-by-site permissions (e.g., popups) & zoom levels.
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/content-prefs.sqlite' to another folder.
Tip: rename the copy.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/content-prefs.sqlite' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'[profileFolderName]/cookies.sqlite' is a database that contains
- fragments of information (called "cookies") that can be created, read, and written by websites.
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/cookies.sqlite' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/cookies.sqlite' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'[profileFolderName]/extensions/', if it exists, stores files for any extensions you have installed.
What about these: '[profileFolderName]/extensions.ini', '[profileFolderName]/extensions.json', '[profileFolderName]/extensions.sqlite'? I imagine they complicate back-up & restore.

'[profileFolderName]/formhistory.sqlite' is a database that contains
- search bar history and
- website form information.
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/formhistory.sqlite' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/formhistory.sqlite' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'[profileFolderName]/logins.json' is a database that contains
- site-by-site, encrypted user names & passwords.
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/logins.json' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/logins.json' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'[profileFolderName]/permissions.sqlite' is a database file that contains
- site-by-site permissions (e.g., popups) & zoom levels.
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/permissions.sqlite' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/permissions.sqlite' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'[profileFolderName]/places.sqlite' is a database file that contains
- bookmarks,
- downloads (i.e., the URL of each downloaded item plus the item's destination folder), and
- browsing history (i.e., the URLs of visited sites).
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/places.sqlite' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/places.sqlite' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'[profileFolderName]/prefs.js' contains
- scripts that customize user preference settings made in Firefox Preferences dialogs.
Note: 'user.js' preferences override 'prefs.js' preferences.
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/prefs.js' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/prefs.js' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'[profileFolderName]/user.js' contains
- scripts that customize user preference settings made in Firefox Preferences dialogs.
Note: 'user.js' preferences override 'prefs.js' preferences.
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/prefs.js' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/prefs.js' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'[profileFolderName]/userContent.css' contains
- web page formattings (i.e., styles) that override the particular web page formattings of all web pages.
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/userContent.css' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/userContent.css' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'[profileFolderName]/webappsstore.sqlite' is a database file that contains
- website storage (i.e., "a larger, more secure, and easier-to-use alternative to storing information in cookies").
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/webappsstore.sqlite' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/webappsstore.sqlite' using a previously saved copy as the source.
Question: How "more secure"?

'[profileFolderName]/xulstore.json' is a database that contains
- toolbar and window size/position settings.
To back up,
- close Pale Moon, then
- copy '[profileFolderName]/xulstore.json' to another folder.
To restore,
- close Pale Moon, then
- overwrite '[profileFolderName]/xulstore.json' using a previously saved copy as the source.

'cert9.db' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains "all your security certificate settings and any SSL certificates you have imported".

'chromeappsstore.sqlite' -- there is no such file -- is a DOM-stored database "...for about:* pages."

'favicons.sqlite' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains "all of the favicons for your Firefox bookmarks".

'handlers.json' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains "...your preferences that tell Firefox what to do when [you click] a particular type of file" (e.g., PDF).

'key4.db' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains ...what?

'persdict.dat' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains custom words you have added to the dictionary.

'pkcs11.txt' -- there is no such file -- "...stores security module configuration."

'search.json.mozlz4' -- There is no such file (but there is a 'search.json' file) -- "...stores user-installed search engines."

'sessionstore.jsonlz4' -- There is no such file (but there is a 'sessionstore.js' file) -- contains scripts that ...do what? (Note: '[profileFolderName]/sessionstore.js' is actually a json file.)

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2019-08-14, 23:51

'cert9.db' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains "all your security certificate settings and any SSL certificates you have imported".

'chromeappsstore.sqlite' -- there is no such file -- is a DOM-stored database "...for about:* pages."

'favicons.sqlite' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains "all of the favicons for your Firefox bookmarks".

'handlers.json' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains "...your preferences that tell Firefox what to do when [you click] a particular type of file" (e.g., PDF).

'key4.db' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains ...what?

'persdict.dat' -- there is no such file -- is a database that contains custom words you have added to the dictionary.

'pkcs11.txt' -- there is no such file -- "...stores security module configuration."

'search.json.mozlz4' -- There is no such file (but there is a 'search.json' file) -- "...stores user-installed search engines."

'sessionstore.jsonlz4' -- There is no such file
↑ that is all a Quantum sh*t, FF57+
[profileFolderName]/places.sqlite' is a database file that contains
- bookmarks,
- downloads (i.e., the URL of each downloaded item plus the item's destination folder), and
- browsing history (i.e., the URLs of visited sites).
+sites icons and something else