Pale Moon 28.6 freezes the OS while loading images

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cykvna701

Pale Moon 28.6 freezes the OS while loading images

Unread post by cykvna701 » 2019-07-22, 15:46

Hello,

I am trying to make a switch to Pale Moon from Firefox since couple weeks but one thing gives me a headache. I am not sure if this topic was discussed but I couldn't find anything similar so I'm making a new one.

My issue is while loading bigger images on websites the browser causes entire operating system to freeze for a while. When running htop I can see that one of the cpu cores spikes up to 100% while it is happening. It's not display server freezing because I also cannot even switch tty. This issue also appears on Basilisk. Firefox and Chromium browsers seem to work fine.
This problem even appears on palemoon.org main webpage for some reason.

I am running 64-bit version of Pale Moon 28.6.0.1 (aur/palemoon-bin package) on up-to-date Arch Linux (kernel 5.2.1) on ThinkPad X201 (Intel i5 M 520, 4GB ram). I have add-ons installed: Autoplay Toggle, Classic Add-ons Archive, Classic Password Editor, Decentraleyes, Expose Noisy Tabs, Greasemonkey, HTTPS Always, uBlock Origin and nMatrix.

Thank you for help in advance.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Pale Moon 28.6 freezes the OS while loading images

Unread post by adesh » 2019-07-22, 17:58

Just loading Pale Moon home page should not freeze your OS as that page is not heavy by any means. This should be a problem with your setup and configuration.

Did you try safe mode? Disabling hardware acceleration?

cykvna701 wrote:
2019-07-22, 15:46
It's not display server freezing because I also cannot even switch tty.
I'm unable to make sense of it.

What is your window manager? Compositor? Any unusual video configuration?

cykvna701

Unread post by cykvna701 » 2019-07-22, 18:12

adesh wrote:
2019-07-22, 17:58
Just loading Pale Moon home page should not freeze your OS as that page is not heavy by any means. This should be a problem with your setup and configuration.

Did you try safe mode? Disabling hardware acceleration?

cykvna701 wrote:
2019-07-22, 15:46
It's not display server freezing because I also cannot even switch tty.
I'm unable to make sense of it.

What is your window manager? Compositor? Any unusual video configuration?
Thanks for responding!

I am using IceWM 1.5.5 without any fancy stuff with the default Intel video drivers. This problem occured on Openbox too.
Disabling hardware acceleration didn't helped. Safe mode did helped, no freezes but CPU usage was pretty high all the time by both Pale Moon and Xorg while simply sitting at palemoon.org website.

Edit: Disabling add-ons and NPAPI plugins in normal mode didn't help.
Edit 2: Nevermind, it happens on Safe mode too, it just freeze more rarely. Picture that my browser seems to have problems with is https://www.palemoon.org/images/PaleMoon-fade.jpg . I can see it appears in the background after OS unfreezes. This is really confusing.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-07-22, 21:05

Try the 32bit version of PM.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

cykvna701

Unread post by cykvna701 » 2019-07-22, 22:15

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:
2019-07-22, 21:05
Try the 32bit version of PM.
I've downloaded a x86 tarball and unfortunately it does the same thing.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-07-23, 10:06

Can you temporarily stick a different o/s on that lappie (windows) and test the same version of PM that way? It will give a better indication of where the problem is.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

cykvna701

Unread post by cykvna701 » 2019-07-23, 16:04

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:
2019-07-23, 10:06
Can you temporarily stick a different o/s on that lappie (windows) and test the same version of PM that way? It will give a better indication of where the problem is.
So I've used Pale Moon on Devuan live cd for around an hour and didn't experienced any slow downs and freezes. It seems that problem lays in my Arch installation somewhere.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-07-23, 17:16

cykvna701 wrote:
2019-07-23, 16:04
It seems that problem lays in my Arch installation somewhere.
I also use Pale Moon on Arch (32 bit though due to age of my computer) with no issues from last 2 years. I haven't updated my system fully and I'm still on kernel version 4. My DE is XFCE.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-07-23, 17:36

cykvna701 wrote:
2019-07-23, 16:04
So I've used Pale Moon on Devuan live cd for around an hour and didn't experienced any slow downs and freezes. It seems that problem lays in my Arch installation somewhere.
Yes, thought there might be a difference - sounds like a driver problem to me.