streaming video

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pale06

streaming video

Unread post by Pale06 » 2019-06-24, 08:20

I'm using PM 28.05.2 on Puppylinux 605.

Trying to play video from ABC IVIEW or KANOPY doesn't work : it either keeps waiting or comes back with a message :

video player error
No compatible source was found for this media.

Youtube videos generally work fine.

Any ideas??

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: streaming video

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-06-24, 16:05

Are these the links to the two places (ABC IVIEW, KANOPY) you're having problems with?

https://iview.abc.net.au/

https://www.kanopy.com/

I always wonder why when people are having problems on a website using (linux or windows) Pale Moon, many of them never provide a direct clickable link.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pale06

Unread post by Pale06 » 2019-06-26, 01:16

Yes, they are. KANOPY is a streaming site that works using one's local library credentials and Iview is part of our (AUS) public broadcast system. I know a few people who use it, but they're using Chrome on Win 10 of course.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-26, 09:47

Unable to test KANOPY because it requires a library registration, and iview ABC is almost certainly because of DRM (Pale Moon does not support in-browser DRM video).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pale06

Unread post by Pale06 » 2019-06-27, 05:05

Thank you for that, after trolling through other posts, I expected so much.
No big deal as long as DVDs are still available at the libraries and certainly no reason to ditch an otherwise superb browser !
It never really feels right to (ab)use the Net for streaming anything .