Mint 19.1 install steps

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
floatingkeyboards

Mint 19.1 install steps

Unread post by floatingkeyboards » 2019-06-22, 03:22

I am new to Linux (using Mint 19.1) and I read that for newbies, it's often best to stick to the programs in "Software Manager." But, since Pale Moon is not in there, I want to know what precautions to take. Here are some things that I have read about, and I am looking for additional input

1. I can do some kind of checksum on the file. I can't find any checksum information (what various checksum algorithms should give as the result). I noticed in another thread on here that someone recommended the Debian 8.0 version for my operating system (Linux Mint 19.1) from here https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

2. I see that some people build from source code. Is that basically to make sure that it is "optimized" for your processor? Perhaps that's even required just to get the software to work for some distros and hardware?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Mint 19.1 install steps

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-06-22, 03:43

floatingkeyboards wrote:
I noticed in another thread on here that someone recommended the Debian 8.0 version for my operating system (Linux Mint 19.1)
If you are running Mint 19.1, and decide to install Pale Moon via Steve's repo (the link you gave), you need the Ubuntu version 18.04, not the Debian. Mint 19.x is based on Ubuntu 18.04. Or, you can simply download the tarball direct from Pale Moon's site, unpack it anywhere and simply run it.

I'd like to see that thread where the Debian version is recommended for Mint 19, please post a link. I'll search for it in the meantime.

EDIT
This says it all, direct from Mr. Pusser:
stevepusser wrote:
Mint 18.X users should use the Ubuntu 16.04 packages, while 19.X should use the Ubuntu 18.04 packages.
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466&start=340#p168509

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Mint 19.1 install steps

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-06-22, 04:45

You can either download the tarball or install the PPA. Just be sure to follow the instructions as shown for Ubuntu 18.04.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story