Unchecking 'Show Suggestions' appears broken

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
markfilipak

Unchecking 'Show Suggestions' appears broken

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-05-26, 21:47

PM 28.2.2 (64-bit) running in VBox 6.0.8 guest: Linux Mint 18 + Cinnamon 3.0.7, with Windows 10 host.

The search bar is showing suggestions.
Turning suggestions off via context: 'Show Suggestions' (unchecked) doesn't work, though it used to work.
The issue is not listed in 'Known issues in the current version'.
A forum search for 'search bar suggestions' turned up nothing useful.

I like my search bar at the bottom, on the status bar, and I can ignore search suggestions, however, the suggestions are opening atop the search line and obscures my input, so I have to type blind.

Can you suggest a fix?

With Regards, Mark.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Unchecking 'Show Suggestions' appears broken

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-26, 22:13

markfilipak wrote:
2019-05-26, 21:47
PM 28.2.2
Any particular reason why you're not running the current (PM 28.5.0) version?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-05-27, 00:42

Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-26, 22:13
markfilipak wrote:
PM 28.2.2
No. Perhaps the updater is broken.

I used to have a script that I wrote that would update PM, but I lost it during a Linux reinstall.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-05-28, 02:58

Nigaikaze wrote:
markfilipak wrote:
PM 28.2.2
I guess there is! It appears there's a problem with Steven Pusser's repository. This is from Mint Update:

Code: Select all

An error occurred during the signature verification.
The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used.
GPG error: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04 
Release: The following signatures were invalid:
KEYEXPIRED 1544201334
Failed to fetch http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.gpg 
The following signatures were invalid:
KEYEXPIRED 1544201334
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Is there a new repository? Or a fix?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-05-28, 08:39

markfilipak wrote:
Turning suggestions off via context: 'Show Suggestions' (unchecked) doesn't work, though it used to work.
These two threads with a similar-sounding complaint (1, 2) say it helped to set
browser.search.showOneOffButtons to false in about:config.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-28, 13:05

markfilipak wrote:
2019-05-28, 02:58
In the support/announcements thread for Steve's repo, he mentioned that key changes happen occasionally beyond his control. In those instances you should be able to fix it by rerunning the commands to download and install the key. See that thread for further info.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-05-28, 17:44

Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-28, 13:05
markfilipak wrote:
2019-05-28, 02:58
In the support/announcements thread for Steve's repo, he mentioned that key changes happen occasionally beyond his control. In those instances you should be able to fix it by rerunning the commands to download and install the key. See that thread for further info.
Thank you for the link. I read the entire thread several times, plus the cited references, in an attempt to suss out a new key download source. I tried this:

mark@mark-VirtualBox ~ $ sudo apt-key add - < Release.key && rm Release.key && sudo apt-get update
bash: Release.key: No such file or directory
Then I went to Steve's page and saw this:
'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... untu_Next/ /'
so I opened Mint Update and revised 'Software Sources' 'Additional repositories' 'Opensuse' via the [Edit URL...] button. Then clicked a button to make the change -- sorry, I don't know the button's label because it changed after I clicked -- here's what I got:

W: GPG error: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_Next  Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1544201334
W: The repository 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_Next  Release' is not signed.
I regret that I'm too ignorant to do this without more specific assistance. Sorry. The machine has too many moving parts. Thanks for trying, Mark.
Last edited by markfilipak on 2019-05-28, 17:57, edited 2 times in total.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-05-28, 17:49

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-05-28, 08:39
markfilipak wrote:
These two threads with a similar-sounding complaint (1, 2) say it helped to set
browser.search.showOneOffButtons to false in about:config.
Thanks for the suggestion, coffeebreak. If updating PM doesn't solve the problem, I'll try it. In any case, I do need to find a way to successfully update.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-05-28, 17:53

markfilipak wrote:
2019-05-27, 00:42
Nigaikaze wrote:
markfilipak wrote:
PM 28.2.2
No. Perhaps the updater is broken.

I used to have a script that I wrote that would update PM, but I lost it during a Linux reinstall.
PS: I later discovered that MC has abandoned that update method, so the fact that I lost it during a Linux reinstall is now foo.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-28, 20:32

markfilipak wrote:
Linux Mint 18
Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04, so the 16.04 repository should be the one you're using, not the Ubuntu_Next repo. If you have the Ubuntu_Next repo installed, remove it, then go back to Steve's page and follow the commands for adding the Ubuntu 16.04 repo and key, it should work. I say "should" because I neither use Steve's repos nor Mint, so I can't precisely follow along in graphical tools like Mint Update. His commands are designed for the terminal (command line), not any specific graphical updater.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-05-28, 20:54

Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-28, 20:32
markfilipak wrote:
Linux Mint 18
Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04, so the 16.04 repository should be the one you're using, not the Ubuntu_Next repo. If you have the Ubuntu_Next repo installed, remove it, then go back to Steve's page and follow the commands for adding the Ubuntu 16.04 repo and key, it should work. I say "should" because I neither use Steve's repos nor Mint, so I can't precisely follow along in graphical tools like Mint Update. His commands are designed for the terminal (command line), not any specific graphical updater.
<rant>
You know, it never ceases to amaze me how Linux pros can be mystified that ordinary users find Linux confusing. Newbies enter Linux in media res and have virtually no documentation and no help. Then, they have to deal with naming inconsistencies -- Example: The GUI is called "Update Manager" and it hides the fact that it's actually 'mintupdate' -- Example: 'System Info' says 'Mint 18'; no sub-version, nothing about Ubuntu, nothing about the desktop system, etc. The gurus think that Newbies are either stupid or lazy. The gurus can't see their hands in front of their faces.
</rant>

PS: I don't mean you, Nigaikaze.

mark@mark-VirtualBox ~ $ wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.key -O Release.key
2019-05-28 16:59:26 URL:https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.key [1109/1109] -> "Release.key" [1]
mark@mark-VirtualBox ~ $ sudo apt-key add - < Release.key
[sudo] password for mark: 
OK
mark@mark-VirtualBox ~ $
The link to the repository in 'Update Manager' was not corrected. I have no idea with what I should replace it.

PPS: My original problem has been eclipsed by the seemingly age-old problem: How do I update Palemoon? This is so disheartening.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-28, 22:31

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I remember my learning curve when I first started using Linux. I'm certainly not a guru, but yeah, it can be *REALLY* frustrating at times. In my case it was a do or die situation, since I needed to learn it for a job so I had to dive in and absorb as much as I could in as short a time as possible.

Working from memory here (I used to use Mint, but jumped ship to another distro when the Mint devs killed their KDE version), Mint Update should have an option (or button) for you called "Software Sources" (or something similar), and an option (or button) under that for PPAs. Look under there to see which one of Steve's repos (if any -- xUbuntu_Next, xUbuntu_16.04, xUbuntu_Something.Else) you have listed. That interface should also give you an option to remove any of Steve's repos that are not the xUbuntu_16.04 repo.

Once you remove that, and if the xUbuntu_16.04 repo was not listed there you can close Mint Update, open up a terminal and run the following command:

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser.list"
That should add the repo to your list of repos for apt, which is the actual updating program that Mint Update uses. That's a function that you could also do through the updater's graphical interface, but my memory is vague about that so I trust the terminal command more than my memories. After running that command, if you go back into the PPA list in Mint Updater, Steve's xUbuntu_16.04 repo should be listed there. If so, a refresh of your list of available updates through the updater should let you update Pale Moon.

If that doesn't work, you can try going back to your terminal and entering these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
The first command tells apt to update its list of software packages. The second command tells apt to upgrade whatever it finds that is upgradeable.

If *THAT* doesn't work ... we might need a Linux guru to help us further. ;)

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-05-28, 22:47

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser.list"
worked like a charm. Thanks! Note that I didn't have any other 3rd party repositories, so I submitted the command as you wrote it, but for furture reference, I think that appending (via '>>') would be more appropriate.

Your memory regarding Update Manager in Mint is excellent. So if you have indulged in combustible recreations as I have, your brain has not been damaged (as my brain has not been damaged).

Thanks again, and may you live as long as you like, and in good health.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-29, 00:02

Yay! Very glad that worked out for you.
markfilipak wrote:
2019-05-28, 22:47
Thanks again, and may you live as long as you like, and in good health.
You're very welcome, and you too!