icedtea plugin causes crashes

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

icedtea plugin causes crashes

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2019-04-26, 03:22

It is probably not something many people would bother with any more, I only possibly need it to access a hardware firmware web type interface page, so I guess I will try some other things, but the iced tea java plugin does seem to crash on many test pages with Pale Moon unstable.

java-runtime-common-3-1 jre-openjdk-11.0.3.u4-1 jre-openjdk-headless-11.0.3.u4-1 libnet-1.1.6-3 icedtea-web-1.7-1

https://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/IcedTea-Web-Tests
Of these pages that still exist, many plug in tests result in a crash. Some you get a dialogue to run with javaws which then works OK.
2.2 IcedTea-Web plugin test sites:

Or here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/installed8.jsp
Firefox 52 ESR users: If you'd like to run the verify app as a plugin, please click here.
If you'd like to crash Pale Moon with icedtea please click here :lol:
Perhaps it is unimportant as no one else seems to have noticed but it certainly causes a lot of crashes!
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: icedtea plugin causes crashes

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2019-04-28, 03:41

The icedtea-web-1.7-1 plugin also doesn't work in Firefox esr52, using a prebuilt binary from Mozilla, it freezes the browser and threw a bunch of errors after starting that from the command line. But after removing icedtea-web, but keeping java-runtime-common-3-1 jre-openjdk-11.0.3.u4-1 jre-openjdk-headless-11.0.3.u4-1 libnet-1.1.6-3 nss-3.43-1, then manually downloading the genuine Oracle java jre-8u211-linux-x64.tar.gz from their website, and doing

Code: Select all

$ sudo mkdir /opt/java
$ sudo cp jre-8u211-linux-x64.tar.gz /opt/java
$ cd /opt/java
$ sudo tar -xvzf jre-8u211-linux-x64.tar.gz
$ cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
$ sudo ln -s /opt/java/jre1.8.0_211/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
Java is working in both firefox esr52 and more helpfully in Pale Moon too.
So I'm npapi happy. :thumbup:

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: icedtea plugin causes crashes

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2019-04-29, 22:24

The above solution does not entirely work in all circumstances as the Arch icedtea-web plugin provides javaws too, so to run jnlp files you have to download them then run them manually.